E-mail scam could fly away with your money

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Jul 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ksn.com/content/news/edi...y-with-your-money/nhFBU5xrjk6nfR9QUrUdow.cspx

People should think twice before clicking on an email that looks like it comes from American Airlines and other major carriers.

Online thieves are using the phony emails to "phish" for personal information and even book flights with victims' money.

"Sometimes when you actually click through on these things, the sites that you go to looks just like American," said FareCompare.com's Rick Seaney, who has received hundreds of the phony emails.
    The email phishing scheme is taking off right in the middle of the busy summer travel season, when a lot of people would be tempted to click on anything that looks like it comes from an airline.
    "This is the first time I've seen a bunch of them related to air travel," Seaney said.

A rash of emails purporting to be from American Airlines, Delta Air Lines and US Airways have all landed in countless inboxes across the country.

The most common claims to be a receipt for a recent preferred seat order, but clicking on the provided link can cost a bundle.

Read More: http://www.ksn.com/content/news/edi...y-with-your-money/nhFBU5xrjk6nfR9QUrUdow.cspx

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice, excellent sharing!:)

sobore likes this.
  3. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    One reason I like GMail is that it is very, very effective at blocking spam and phishing. I received one spam email today, which was one more than usual.

sobore likes this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to get a lot of the phishing emails that looked like they were going to an AA site - even years ago, but less lately. AA has a warning on their home page

Gargoyle and sobore like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with that. Yahoo on the other hand seems to think I want the spam email from Canadian pharmacies, many many times. :eek:

Gargoyle likes this.
  6. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    This really isn't new

I got one of these a long time ago -- had to deal with a ticket for a trip that I was supposed to be taking on an airline that I never fly with to a city I had no reason to go to .... pretty darn obvious that hitting the delete button was in order.

DTWBOB

Gargoyle and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, as far as Yahoo is concerned, the more mail delivered the better. They probably laid off their email group a long time ago.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    with an exception- if legitimate mail comes from a small (and therefore insignificant) ISP, even with Listed Sender ID, proper SPF record, and matching forward and reverse DNS, they are quite likely to reject it. They are very flaky.

9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Somewhat off topic.

I got an e mail a couple of weeks ago from what looked like one of those Secret Shopper websites. I had a couple of days off, so volunteered to participate. They wanted me to go to a Walmart that had a Western Union and record my interactions with them. They were sending me a $100 + $30 in expenses. I totally forgot about this until 2 postal money orders for $700 each arrived by Fedex. I was to cash the money order, then head to Walmart to make a transaction, sending them the balance of what was leftover from their checks.

When they didn't hear from me for 2 days, I told them I only received 1 check, and they should advise me what to do next. ;) When they e mailed back to make the transaction anyway, I responded if that was ok??

The next day, they asked if I sent the money. I responded that when I googled the address, Google Maps showed an empty field in the LA area. :D

Warning. The scammers are out there using new tactics. Better watch yourself.