E-Mail alerts don't contain text of reply posts?

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by CdnFlier, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just noticed that e-mail alerts don't seem to contain the text of the post that came after mine (or simply the most recent posting on the thread). FT at one point went back and forth this way sometimes showing you the content and other times just telling you to go and check out the thread.

Am I missing something in my settings or has this not yet been implemented yet?

When I'm at work, or travelling I tend not to have time to get on the computer and read threads properly so getting the e-mail alerts with the most recent post content was extremely helpful. So, if it hasn't been done, I'd humbly request it be enabled at some point in the near future...

2. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems like there are two options that we could have:

1) Existing alerts that fire as soon as someone posts.
    2) A daily digest of the updates to the thread

I'd love if we could have the option of one or both of these...

3. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    1 & 2 would be awesome... 1 is probably at least 50% of how I stay up to date with FT threads and 2 would just be really handy although some of the e-mails could get quite long - might be better addressed by RSS feeds? Although I still haven't found a RSS reader that I like.

4. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Huh... I never realized #1 was an option on FT because I set it up to do #2 so long ago. :)

5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use an older one - OMEA Reader ... not too bad actually - I have about 300 RSS feeds it monitors for me.

6. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha, well it's a great feature my only beef with it is that after you get one post from a thread you don't get any others until you visit FT however, with the rate that some of the threads grow that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I find that if you've asked a question you at least get the first response (or I quickly visit FT Mobile to reset the marker and get the subsequent posts).
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to take a look at it.

7. ozstamps
    Original Member

ozstamps Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I have yet to get a single email alert to my gmail address so that is a major Bug that needs looking at.

Yahoo and hotmail accounts are reporting this too.

New boards thrive on content and geting reply advices is the way to get content.

8. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    Strange, I use Google for my own domain's e-mail (so everything flows through the gmail servers) and alerts are being delivered just fine..

9. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me too.

Back to the OP - I totally agree that the emails need to have the message included. I am often limited to my bb and it makes a huge difference to how well I can keep up having those emails show up. At the moment, I've turned off all email notifications because what is being sent out is entirely useless. I get the same information from logging in and going through the alerts :(

10. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just turned them off as well.. (that said the alerts function on the website is great! but it serves an entirely different purpose)

11. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm getting alerts at gmail okay.

12. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    My account has no problem. It's my own mailserver.

13. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's another thread on this here. FYI - my google-run domain email also has no problems with alerts. Sounds like it's just you, Glen. :p

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    FeedDemon is a very popular (and IMHO very good) Windows RSS reader. Syncs with Google Reader. Which in turn syncs with Reeder on my iPhone/iPad.

That said, the MP RSS feeds currently unfortunately don't have any content -- just links to the posts. So that's not a solution to the problem here. :(

15. CdnFlier
    Original Member

CdnFlier Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the app tips, I'll check it out - Syncing with Google Reader could be helpful.

Upsetting to hear that the RSS feed is the same as the alert e-mails at the moment. Hopefully this gets fixed!: )

16. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gmail's working fine for me too.