E-Ink watches

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by gobluetwo, May 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have an e-ink watch? And the real question - are they worth it, or still just a gimmick that needs time to mature? What are the pros/cons?

I didn't even know they existed until the other day, but they look pretty cool. I had initially heard about the Phosphor world time e-ink watch, which sounds just like something I'd love to have for travel. I've been mulling getting a multi-time zone watch, but never got around to it. This might put me over the edge. Besides the Phosphor, any other good e-ink watches out there? I'd be looking for a more "affordable" watch, ie, definitely <$200, probably $100-150 range which is where the Phosphor sits. Sadly, it's been receiving mixed reviews on amazon. One big con is no light, so can't see it at night.

http://www.amazon.com/Phosphor-WC01-World-Curved-Polyurethane/dp/B00404U0I4/ref=pd_sbs_watch_1
    [​IMG]

2. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems kind of like a gimmick at this point. Especially if you are not going to be doing anything else than reading the time on it I don't know how superior it is to just a new LCD watch, especially when it comes to contrast and battery life.

gobluetwo likes this.
  3. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    The coolest new watch tech I have read about recently was this Casio watch from CES with a new Bluetooth Low Energy spec based off the BT 4.0 standard. What made it so appealing to other watches that have attempted to do similar things over the years is that the battery would last two years still.

5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I did some more research on it, I also decided they were more of a gimmick. Cool if you've got some money burning a hole in your pocket and just have to keep up with the latest fads. For now, there seem to be many more useful (and cheaper) LCD and traditional watches around that will meet my needs and have more functionality. Still, neat concept.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I saw those today at Google IO. Too big for my taste (and wrist).

emajy likes this.
  7. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. Thanks

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the way, the concept I do like a lot. I would love to be able to just glance at my wrist for inbound notifications such as SMS instead of pulling the phone out of the pocket. And I'd be okay with the price as well ($200, I believe). Just shrink it to "human arm" size :) Well, I do realize that there are other gigantic watches... I don't know who buys them, but it's not me.

9. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    My TAG is not that large and I am not trying to make a statement with my watch. I do like the idea of the 'Dick Tracy" type watch as it would be super convenient to have all the notifications on my wrist. Would also be great if it had a BT mic so you can actually voice to text or have a conversation. Kind of like this one but looking like a watch.

10. wiredboy
    Original Member

wiredboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a watch from Fossil like this a few years ago. As I remember it just kept a copy of my calendar and address book. It was kind of a PITA because it had to be charged every couple of days. If you wear more than one watch, you have to always keep the thing on the charger or it'll be dead when you want to wear it.