E-Guidebooks, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by LarryInNYC, Jul 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will be on a 4.5 week trip to SE Asia in a month, visiting Cambodia, Myanmar, Bangkok, KL, and hopefully Bali. In the old days I would have picked up the most recent SE Asia On A Shoestring, but we'll have my daughter's new iPad (wifi only) along.

Does anyone have thoughts and / or experience concerning downloadable guidebooks?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just make sure any book/guide you get does not require any kind of wifi unless you are positive you will have connection.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I'm talking about guidebooks for purchase like Lonely Planet. I believe they're fully downloaded when purchased.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used etravel guides since they became available. On balance I probably will never have another physical one; the convenience wins for me.

That said, there are a couple of downsides.
    1) Most of the links and searches do not really work very well, and the pagination seems always to be a problem.
    2) It's hard to make the bookmarks and parenthetical notes that I once made in physical books.
    3) Browsing is less efficient, for me anyway, with ebooks.

Still, I just today downloaded two guidebooks for my next holiday trip. It is not possible to get a physical book so easily. The colors are better (on my iPad) than on the physical books even if the pagination screws up the title and the photo.

I have one Lonely Planet guide. It is a trifle easier to use and has decent links, which several of my others do not.