E-Check In and Upgrades for Gold/Diamond Members

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by pokee, Oct 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. pokee

pokee Active Member

Status Points:
    Just wondering how e-check-in works at Hilton properties when you can get a preferred room upgrade upon check-in? Can you get the upgrade online, 24 hours ahead of time, or is that something you can only get when you are physically at the hotel?

In my case, I was hoping to book a standard room get an upgrade for a stay we have planned for next year at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, but wondering if I should book the cheapest room in a certain tower in order to better my chances of an upgrade? We'll be arriving at the hotel quite late (flight gets in at 9pm), so I am hoping that e-check-in will better our chances of a good room upgrade. BUT I have no idea how it works! Thanks for any advice!

2. jgg630

jgg630 Silver Member

Status Points:
    E check in has allowed you to choose your room from available rooms. The upgrades or awards are available upon check in. I have never received an upgrade before arriving at property.

3. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    i believe e check in allows you to choose the same room type booked, ahead of time.

Room upgrades to my knowledge depends on the actual time you check in and on availability at that time. Personally, i usually try to email the hotel reservations manager or the GM (via getting the email from Trip Advisor, or through the hotel's website review replies) and explain the upcoming stay is for a special occasion and it would be wonderful if the hotel could help with a room upgrade. It'll still be subject to availabilty at the end of the day, but the GM or Reservation Manager could help to take special note of your request and try his/her level best to make it happen. at times, you may also get additional surprises such as a small birthday cake if it's a stay to celebrate a birthday or flowers if it's an anniversary.

So you may want to similarly try to contact the hotel GM regarding your stay.

Gary Leff posted a very good article on ways to requesting for room upgrades in his blog today, recommended reading :

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthewing/2013/10/12/improve-chances-upgrade/

kero and CHK like this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even when it's not?

5. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    so far, i do so for leisure travel bookings with family, and the stays are thus far for special occasions..

CHK and pokee like this.
  6. pokee

pokee Active Member

Status Points:
    Funny enough, I used this trick earlier this year when staying at an SPG property at LAX. The GM was new and ALL OVER flyertalk and tripadvisor asking people to PM him with any questions or requests. I was able to score a better room and a 7am check in thanks to to pming him ahead of time. And this was a room I booked from a third party and with no status! I really impressed my friend I was travelling with! I've tried this again in the summer at a Hilton property and it totally crashed and burned. Just depends on the style of the management I suppose.

7. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    yup, i know what you mean ! ultimately, its the hotel who decides to accord benefits beyond the status / guests who have no status at their discretion, so experiences may vary.

CHK likes this.
  8. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plus there are limits on the number of premium rooms. Obviously, only so many people can be upgraded and if management upgrades all these "special occasions" then the most loyal Elite customers may not get upgraded at all. It's a fine line to walk. And for people who always write and say they have a special occasion even when it's not, here's another current thread for you ;): Fake service dogs a growing problem

9. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is normally the case, but I'm not sure if it's always that way. I have had rooms available during echeck-in that were better than the class of room that I booked. For example, I've stayed at the HGI in Dover DE a number of times and the last four times I've booked a room there, a junior suite was presented as one of the options during E-check in. This has only started happening recently for me with this property, and the junior suite has specifically been referred to as an upgraded room in the list.

Anyone else having similar experiences with electronic check-in, or are you pretty much being offered various rooms of the same class booked?

10. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Within a day or two ahead of check-in, I've been noticing my room type change in my HHonors.com reservations from "parking lot view" to "executive suite", presumably as the hotel sorts out their HHonors guests and gets ready to upgrade them at check-in. When I see the upgraded room type in the reservation, I'm comfortable doing e-checkin. Otherwise, I just go to the front desk and talk about upgrades to secure one.

For longer stays or for resort or higher-end properties, I've been making it a practice to reach out to the GM's before arrival to chat about upgrades, amenities, etc. I've been very successful that route. Then again, I've dropped serious coin to Hilton this year, so it may be them looking at my record that makes them more friendly to work with.

11. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an upcoming stay at the Hilton riverside in New Orleans. The good news is I am now HH gold thanks to MP premium membership. However this is part of a huge convention and I am wondering about the best way to secure an upgrade. Today I received an email saying I could upgrade for as little as $9. Is it worth it in this case (because of the convention) to go for the extra fee (on an already expensive room). Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

kero likes this.
  12. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    So there was never an answer to my question re a stay at the Hilton riverside in New Orleans. In the end I just called the hotel and had a confirmed executive level access room although not on exec floor. There was breakfast offered and cocktails in the evening. Breakfast was minimal. Oatmeal, pastries (so-so), hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fresh strawberries and melon, bagels etc. cocktails in the evening included some cheeses, marinated artichokes, olives and the like along with hummus nuts and crackers. Wine etc for purchase.
    As for the room it was comfortable enough for 2. Had to keep asking for extra towels and in room coffee packs.
    All in all however it was ok but not outstanding. Nevertheless I thank MP premium membership for the Gold status as it made the week long business trip more tolerable.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint