Dynamic Glossary Causing Browser to Crash

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by mowogo, Oct 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am using Google Chrome, and have verified this on three machines (2 Windows 7 Home Premium, 1 Windows XP Professional), but when I highlight anything, my browser freezes up, I get an error saying that Shockwave has become non-responsive, and I struggle to be able to close the tab. I am running the latest version of Chrome (14.0.835.202) and this happens when I highlight a valid term, or invalid term.

uggboy and Gargoyle like this.
  2. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1 to this problem, same result on Win7 Home Premium, Firefox 7.

Quite annoying when I was attempting to copy and paste text as part of writing massive sections of the Qantas wiki.

uggboy and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    very strange. in FF 3.6 it is causing that tab to freeze up, but I can still navigate in other tabs, launch new tabs or windows, even wander around MP in those other windows. However, that one window/tab remains frozen solid. I can kill that individual tab without having to kill FF.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's getting worse; any time I just inadvertently highlight a word FF 7.0.1 freezes. Sometimes it is only the one tab, sometimes all of FF. After a minute or two I can finally close the MP tab and start a fresh incident of MP.

uggboy and mowogo like this.
  5. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    WE have confirmed this recent problem. Seems to be something new since it worked upon launch with all browsers. Still works just fine with Safari as i tested it this morning against Chrome and Firefox. The tech team will be digging into why the sudden changes in some browser compatibility.

Appreciate the feedback, the heads up and hopefully the patience while this is scoped out.

Thank you.

Gargoyle, Scottrick and uggboy like this.
  6. barelyelite
    Original Member

barelyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, I've been having this problem lately, both at home on Chrome and at work on Firefox. :(

Very annoying, especially since I have a bad habit of double clicking all the time without reason :p.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same here... it was perfectly fine at first but as of late I've had a lot of issues with unresponsive tabs.

It's good that the browser will let you kill off any pages that are acting up, but annoying nonetheless.

Gargoyle likes this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have this issue with Chrome, but it seems to be related to opening threads in new tabs, not to the glossary function.

Sometimes it clears itself up after a while (like, 10 minutes). Sometimes not. No explanation why this seems limited to MP and some BoardingArea blogs.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It basically happens when I highlight items, so if I double click on a word accidentally it can lock my browser.

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting... I just tried it and noticed something...

If you highlight a word by selecting it (think "swipe" with your mouse) it won't freeze. If you double-click on a word, it will almost certainly freeze the tab.

The error was related to Shockwave as well on my side, which is strange all things considered.

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. Paul D

Paul D Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're all right, and what an annoying bug to encounter. It's a very strange bug in the way that recent browser editions are interpreting our code -- and while we hammer out the details, the dynamic glossary feature has been disabled.

Thanks for the reports, guys.

YULtide, Gargoyle, mowogo and 2 others like this.
  12. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Thanks again all for your reports. Just a few minutes ago I have re-enabled this functionality and will be watching this thread for any more reports of this happening in case this creeps up again, so do post here if you have this problem again. Thanks.

dmel and viguera like this.
  13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems to be working fine for me on Chrome now, double-clicking as well as highlighting.

dmel and Tim like this.
  14. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Works great on a few OS/browser combos I checked:
    • WinXP
      • Safari 5.1.1 (7534..51.22)
      • FF 7.0.1
      • Chrome 15.0.874.106
      • IE 7.0.5730.13
    • RHEL 6.0
      • FF 3.6.9
    • Solaris 10u9
      • FF 3.6.10

Gargoyle and Tim like this.
  15. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Excellent dmel, I must admit that we weren't able to test FF on Red Hat or Solaris here. Good to know they are working. :)

16. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p

Well, I know Solaris is overkill for this crowd (judging by no responses here), but I'm sure there are people using linux to browse -- likely Fedora or Ubuntu. RHEL was the easiest for me to test right now, and too slow to do more than one browser test (tunneling x11 through ssh).

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    What - no HP-UX testing? ;)

dmel likes this.
  18. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Doesn't work in Lynx. In fact, I couldn't even navigate into forums or conversations, I'd select the links and it would just keep returning me to the main menu. I could log in, but that was about all I could do. This should be a priority to fix.
    :p :p :p

lynx2.jpg

Tim, viguera and dmel like this.
  19. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha! I was going to post the same joke last night, actually ;-)

Gargoyle likes this.
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    see, there is a significant Lynx user base on Milepoint. :D

Is there an iPhone implementation for Lynx? I used to have a ssh app and a command prompt for my Windows 6 phone...

(there is still an active Lynx development community, the last release was June 21, 2010)

dmel likes this.
  21. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    there are lots of ssh apps for iPhone. I randomly chose one ... iSSH.

Here's a screenshot of me connected to a Solaris box running links 0.98. Not the best MP user experience, especially with how you access up and down keys in iSSH. :)

image-863614431.png

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

anabolism, Tim and Gargoyle like this.
  22. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Cool. That can be really important for server and website maintenance. I have spam filtered on the server, so ssh is a very safe way to go in, check the spam folders, and clean them out, but it was painful with the font size on my old Samsung Blackjack. :)

23. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree- ssh access is key, especially paired with the VPN. And on the iPad, i can even VPN in then connect to my running SunRay session -- wicked cool.

Note that iSSH also does VNC and RDP but I haven't tried either. It also has built-in X server, but a quick test (start it and execute xclock) didn't work. No time now to look into it.

anabolism and Gargoyle like this.