Dynamic Currency Conversion at IHG properties

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by tom911, Feb 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Second time I've been charged in dollars with a surcharge for an upcoming prepaid stay in Europe booked in Euros. I won't name the property as they quickly apologized, identified it as a training issue with an employee they would address, and reversed the charge, but it is something to be concerned about if you do any IHG stays in Europe. I was also given 1,000 points for goodwill but not much value there. Makes you wonder how many other U.S. residents coming through this hotel have been similarly charged and just don't know it.

Original price: 80 Euros, about $90.24 based on the exchange rate on date of purchase
    Charged to credit card: $94.09, a markup of over 4% on my zero forex credit card

I recall one stay in Berlin, not at an IHG property, where they presented me a credit card slip to sign with the purchase in dollars with a markup, and I had them void it and print a new one in Euros. They actually had a DCC sign on the counter touting the program. I'm very cognizant. when making purchases in shops or dining in restaurants, to make sure I am charged in Euros and not dollars, and always check any prepaid bookings to make sure I am not surcharged.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    all businesses seem to be quick to apologize or make an excuse :eek:

reputable companies should not have dynamic currency conversions; it is a scam and an insult to your intelligence

Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    During my just completed Asian trip at least they always asked me if I wanted to charge in USD or local currency. To pay in USD might sound easy to novices, but always answer "local currency" or you'll wind up paying extra as just reported by @tom911.

Thomask and uggboy like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    MX likes this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not only IHG properties that do this in Europe. I've run into the problem at Marriott properties in Poland and in Germany. Be on the alert, and I'd suggest not taking the automatic checkout route.

It's really disgusting that Marriott allows this, since I was using the Marriott VISA card that has NO currency conversion fee. It's just a scam to fleece the patrons of an extra 4%.

jonspencer and Thomask like this.
  6. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am always on the lookout when I check-out. I have told the properties where I regularly stay to make a note so they do not ask me any more. (always wants to be charged in local currency) I have told my wife and kids the same when they use the credit-card outside the US. Never thought about checking my pre-paid Hotel reservations. I guess I do only about 10% pre-paid. But anyways, thanks for the hint, Tom911, very valuable!

7. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Amex is the only card that can prevent DCC - I got one just for using it in China and for renting car with Avis.

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't AMEX charge a 2.7% forex fee? Seem to recall that's what my Costco AMEX charges as I haven't used it outside the U.S. in years. Do you have an AMEX with no foreign exchange surcharge?

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AMEX Platinum (personal or biz) does not. The Centurion card also might not but I do not have one. As far as I know, pretty much every other AMEX card charges a forex fee...

10. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    good points about AMEX :eek:

I finally got the card because it is easier to challenge charges

11. VegasCraig

VegasCraig Active Member

Status Points:
    I have the Wells Fargo issued "Propel 360" Amex card and there's no foreign transaction fee. It does NOT have many of the benefits of an Amex-issued Amex card, but it's nice to have no FTF while being DCC-proof at the same time.