Dynamic Air awards @ 13K, but no SAAver awards at 12.5K

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Mike Reed, Sep 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's ample evidence to show that RM is holding T inventory on many popular domestic flights around Christmas, but I'd EXPECT them to. I've been looking at DEN-AUS on 12/22 and even though loads are low on the flight I want (3PM, < 50%), until YESTERDAY RM hadn't even released deep-discount economy fares. Now there are Q fares available (and I'm really tempted to buy, but will hold out for T inventory). Again, I'd expect this. They expect to be able to sell the seats, and until it gets closer and the flight isn't selling out, there's no reason to release "free" seats when they project them being sold.

Since the fares dropped, I decided to check the Dynamic Air awards. I found the flights I want (or close enough) for 13,000 miles. So I called the EXP desk and asked about T availability, or expanded T inventory for EXP. Nada... but the Dynamic Air awards are redepositable for EXP so I went ahead and grabbed them. That way if T becomes available I can cancel and book with BA miles... if not, we've still got them at 13K each for the one-way home.

I'm disappointed, however, that they're opening DynamicAir at 13K without opening T at 12.5K. Bad form, IMHO, and this doesn't bode well for SAAver inventory in the face of Dynamic Air awards, despite American's assertion that Dynamic Air awards aren't meant to replace SAAver fares (which are not only for AA member redemption, but BA partner redemption, which is VERY important). Essentially AA is locking out BA (and other) members from being able to book these tickets, but allowing AA members to do so at a 500-mile premium. That leaves me feeling uneasy...

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great plan and well done. I'm not all that surprised though that this happened. DynamicAir awards are variable based on fares and you found a good fare so were able to get a good deal on this type of award, in fact, quite a savings over an AAnytime award. Don't forget, AA is also locking out everyone in their program from 12.5k awards so general members are looking at an AAnytime award if they want/it's available or nothing.

Mike Reed likes this.
  3. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try this on for size...

I just checked a RT flight to my family's home during Christmas. I'd expect to see > or = 25,000 miles for the flight. Instead, the search result is showing me 24,000 miles + $5 in taxes! (12,000 each way? It appears as though the flight is being discounted.)

Mike Reed and JohnDeere19 like this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly, it can go either way depending on the fares.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure that's not each way? If so, that's rather nice!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also replied to your post over at the other place, but Dynamic Air Awards start at 10,000 miles each way or 20,000 miles round trip. Your flights fall in that range. I don't see any evidence that they are being discounted for elites, since they're only for elites to begin with. Who knows, though! :)

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right. I'm just saying that if they're going to offer them at 13K miles, why not open up the T inventory at 12.5K - this would at least allow booking for partner airlines.

8. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are most correct! Thanks for replying here and over there.
    I'm a bit embarrassed that I didn't check the T&C first to make sure I thoroughly understood these before posting my experience.

9. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    No embarrassment needed! :) I do think that AA is doing a good job of offering options to elites, such as sub-25,000 mile redemptions when MileSAAvers aren't available, although I share others' concerns that supplanting low-tier award availability with these dynamically-priced awards could allow a slow, steady and nearly imperceptible devaluation of miles, so I plan to keep my eye closely on this as time goes on.

10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems to me that they're taking care of their elites.

11. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes in a sense that any option is better than no option. But the dynamic awards are based on the current market fares, which by definition are going to.be low in these instances. What is the implied value of using miles for dynamic awards vs buying the ticket?

Mike Reed likes this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends. I booked our award to hold the seats while waiting for T fares. I'm willing to gamble that they release them AND fares don't go up, so if they don't release, I can drop the award rezzy and just buy the tickets at this rate. Even so, it's still 9 cents per mile (14300 cents / 775 miles) redemption, which isn't bad. Or, another way, assuming I pay 8 cents per mile on average, I'm still ahead on redeeming on this route.

13. pauleeepaul
    Original Member

pauleeepaul Active Member

Status Points:
    I meant compare the fare at which you could buy the ticket to the amount of miles asked for the dynamic award. If not north of $0.015 per mile in cost avoided I would buy the ticket with cash and hold the miles. YMMV.

I make this point because it is likely that the really low dynamic awards will be for tix where the fare is also really low.