Dumb question -- what is a "stay"?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by MaryDarling, Jul 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newbie here, just beginning to crack the codes on awards, elite status, etc. I've signed up for Gold status and know I have to complete 3 stays before August 31. I assume this mean I need to check-in to a Hilton property three different times, and that staying three nights at one property would not be sufficient. Is that correct?

I ask because I'm headed up to Portland next week, and will do what it takes -- either check-in to a different property each night or, if it would work, just spend three nights at one property.

Either way, I'm going for the gold 'til 2013!

SC Flier and savydog like this.
  2. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that yes 3 nights consecutive would be 1 stay. If you have similar properties nearby you can check in - out so that you are recording stays in each :) Maybe you can ask for late check-out on one and early check-in for the other to make the switch smoother. There should be a few road warriors on here that can give you more advice on this, good luck :)

SC Flier likes this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would need to change properties if you are doing consecutive nights.

Night 1: hotel a
    Night 2: hotel b (can be in the same city, etc, same flag, but needs to be a different hotel)
    Night 3: hotel a

Or, this would work (perhaps if you had a friend's place to crash at):
    Night 1: hotel a
    Night 3: hotel a
    Night 5: hotel a

SC Flier likes this.
  4. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Simply put, a stay is any stay in a hotel where you check in and check out after 1 night as long as you do not check back in to make consecutive nights.
    As NYBanker says, hotel number 1 you would go to the first night. Then you have to go to another hotel the next night. And then back again. Generally referred to as hotel hopping, this is how many of us make our status.

Staying all 3 nights in the same property will be only 1 stay.

SC Flier likes this.
  5. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, everyone. I thought it couldn't be as easy as a 3 night stay at a single hotel! I'll plan accordingly.

6. Not sure about this for all chains, but this once worked for me.
    if you are not going alone, do nights 1 & 3 as stays in your name, night 2 in your wife's/husband's/companion's might get 2 stays

7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    That works if you're getting both parties status in some cases.

but for the promo where she requires 3 stays, this will not work for her.

8. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome aboard. It appears that you have caught whatever we have and are well on your way to addiction. Enjoy the ride!

Mike