Dumb Enough To Work For The TSA; Too Dumb To Understand Satire

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by bananajax, Aug 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bananajax

bananajax Silver Member

Status Points:
    marcwint55 likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some things are just not seen as satire...many do understand satire while others do not.

bananajax, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

bananajax and marcwint55 like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A little bit of common sense can go a long way. My objective at an airport is to blend in as much as possible. If I wore something like that I would expect to be treated appropriately. There really is no room for humor when it comes to passenger safety and the terrorism that sadly exists in our world.

deant, Sunshine7 and uggboy like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a time and place for satire, probably not when entering an airport.

deant and uggboy like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course the objective is to fight terrorism, sad enough that the safety of passengers could be compromised at all times from such individuals. I get that part, what I'm not getting is the simple idea that not all people are terrorists and I believe the majority want simply get on with it and getting a treatment at the security counter / check which is worthy as being called " human " and " important ". Let's face it, some regulations and " overly concerned security behavior " is a bit of a overkill.

Regarding, " blending in as much as possible ", I get that to, I can even understand this, but lately there are accounts at some airports that the TSA does random checks not based upon signs that a person could pose a true security threat, it is more about skin color, minority, age and so on. That's an important difference IMHO. Security yes, but not at the price of using these rules to discriminate.

bananajax and marcwint55 like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course an airport is not a comedy club, but regarding a place for satire, the TSA fills a lot of webpages in which they are the main contributors to a forum who offers just that, but then, the internet is not the airport.

marcwint55 likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    there should never be discrimination at any venue, airports included.

bananajax and uggboy like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    very true.

uggboy likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what people should stand for, against discrimination. Sadly, people do discriminate, most often the same people who should know better.

11. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I doubt the author of that particular article actually read the original blog posting in any detail. While she is quick to state that the blog poster was "abused (even more than the rest of us usually are) by TSA thugs and then yanked off a plane," she fails to notice that the blogger himself states that "the TSA agents were satisfied we had nothing suspicious and posed no threat", but that the DL pilot and local police were the ones who kept him off the flight and harrassed him and his wife.

She could have talked about the culture of fear promoted by the TSA (see something say something!), but took the low road. Sad.

Also, it seems her schtick is to basically reprint an entire article on something controversial she probably found on gawker, add a few inflammatory comments, and call it a day. Nice.

12. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shocked does not begin to describe how I feel about this!