Dulles Airport seen as potential engine for revenue

Discussion in 'BWI/DCA/IAD | Washington D.C. Area Airports' started by cguizlo, Dec 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Building a proper second terminal and real mass transit would be a big start. The rest of the market has a habit of showing up once efficient connectivity is established.

canucklehead likes this.
  3. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mass Transit is the big thing. I'm also surprised they don't have a shuttle service to the Udvar-Hazy center. I figure they'd be able to get people to do longer connections there if there was something to do in between.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is minimal value to the airport in getting people to take longer connections. The less time you spend in the building, the better it is for the airport authority.

5. pyndasky

pyndasky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Access is a big issue, but most of BWI's growth and sustainability is tied to a significant presence of Southwest Airlines... The parking lots at BWI are full of cars with VA, DC, PA and DE tags.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have thought that the airport would be interested in people having time to eat, drink and shop, since the businesses typically share revenue with the airport?

7. cguizlo

cguizlo Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is such a difference between A/B gates and C/D gates that I hope they do build a second set of terminals and update C/D in the process.

Hopefully when Metro installs the Silver Line things will also improve as more are able to get out there via mass transit....but with the speed that DC transit works...that won't happen on time.

iolaire likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the airport wants to make things comfortable for the passengers who are waiting and they get paid rent by the shops. But the value of an airport to the passengers is in enabling quick, easy and frequent connections to a large number of destinations. As a business traveler I'm going to take the 60-90 minute connection over the 4 hour one even if there are better snacks at that airport. After all, my goal is to get to the next destination, not take a tour along the way. And the airport makes a lot more money off the airlines coming and going than they do off rent from the concessions.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is a craptastic terminal (C/D) with the major tenant being a craptastic airline. I used to transit through there several times a year. Now, if I'm through there once or twice a year, it is a lot. I must not be the only one not subjecting myself to a sub-par airport terminal for connections on a sub-par airline. As far as O/D goes, I've generally frequented DCA even when it meant connecting somewhere enroute. Why anyone subjects themselves to that craphole when there is another better option is really a question of sanity. Of course, for many, there isn't another better option.

Sincerely,
    Mr. MM Flyer with 0 UA EQMs for the first time since joining MP in 1985