Dublin Recommendations

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Pizzaman, Nov 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've got a few days in Dublin, my first trip there. I'll have a lot of time tied up for work but probably about a day's worth of sightseeing and some time for dining.

Any recommendations from MPers with experience there?

iolaire likes this.
  2. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have just started posting my trip reports from when I was in Dublin last month for my first time,
    Pizzaman; so not all are posted yet.

I visited Newgrange and Knowth, which are passage tombs north of Dublin that are thousands of years old and pre-date Stonehenge.

I also visited Howth, which is a charming little seaside village just east of the airport.

I understand that Glendalough — one hour south of Dublin by car — is also worthy of a visit; but I did not have a chance to go.

For dinner, I enjoyed L'Gueuleton at 1 Fade Street, Dublin 2.

There is also a chain of take-out places known for its fish and chips; but the name escapes me at the moment. When I remember it, I will let you know.

I do not drink; but there are plenty of pubs which you can experience...

Have fun in Dublin!

deltagoldLass and iolaire like this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I'm not a big drinker but I'll likely have a pint of Guinness somewhere to say I did it. :)

4. Isn't there Powerscourt nearby I have never been to Ireland hoping to look a crystal making

5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    The free National Museum of Archeology (has a different name) was good. We enjoyed the red bus tour and the temple bar food market on Saturday (food equals lunch, a crape and a steak sandwich, not something to cook at home). I did not go but the rest of my party enjoyed Newgrange.

6. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    May as well have your guinness at the brewery - although the tour there is not nearly as nice as at the jameson distillery, imo. If choosing one, my preference would be jameson. Glendalough was enjoyable also, and kilmainham gaol was interesting.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I tried to do the gaol on the one free day I had and it turned out to be a long wait, meaning I would have missed doing other things like Guinness tour. I bailed, Guinness tour was meh. I regretted. :)