Dublin-Galway by rail 1 euro/$US1.35

Discussion in 'Europe' started by tom911, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was surprised to find this deal on the Irish Rail web site for travel today. Three of us left Heuston Station in Dublin at 1130 and were in Galway at 1410, just over 2.5 hours later, so pretty decent value for rail travel. We sat across from each other at a table in the lead car (seat assignment included in the booking). Fare was offered outside peak hours. Had expected the ticket inspector on board would question our tickets, which I had printed out the day before at a ticketing kiosk in Connolly station in Dublin which was along our route of travel, but not a peep.

Appears the 1 euro rail fares may be in reaction to new service offered by a GoBus.ie between Dublin and Galway as they have posters about town here in Galway with the 1 euro fare. Checking their web site they offer wifi on their buses where the rail line did not. May consider that for future trips. Bus is only about 30 minutes longer than rail on this route.

Also seeing winter discounts here in Galway for tours. Off to the Cliffs of Moher and Doolin tomorrow on a day trip for 20 euros ($US27), 20% off the normal 25 euro price, with Lally Tours. This tour takes seven hours so pretty decent value here, too. Had thought about Aran Islands but just too windy out here today to want to do a small ferry crossing to Inis More.

2. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice to see they're competing with Gobus and CityLink. I've taken that route several times both with Iarnród Éireann and Bus Éireann. But most recently I did the non-stop with GoBus.ie round trip - Dublin City Centre to Galway with a return directly to Dublin Airport.

Not a bad deal for €25 return (€5 more because I was going to the airport). Unlike Bus Éireann, GoBus and CityLink stick to the M5 motorway and move steadily. The Wifi connection was strong but the internet speed was awfully slow. Plus there's not a great deal of space to operate even a netbook but a smartphone would work just fine. There are WC's on the buses too with as far as I know few if any Bus Éireann buses with WC's.

I chose the bus for economics, on all but one trip in the past. For personal space I would prefer the train, however, and if they continue to sell tickets that low - or even simply matching the non-stop bus companies - I would definitely pick the train over the bus. But they need WiFi to even the score now.

Oh - and Lally's not bad. I took their tour through Connemara region once. All the companies follow the same basic route for either tour but if you recall from another thread I chose a company most recently because it included a bit of a walk in the Burren which other tours don't offer. Even without that I've never missed an opportunity to visit the Cliffs of Moher, having stayed in Doolin twice before as well.

Word of advice: At the Cliffs of Moher, unless it's also your lunch stop ignore the visitor center and the pointless "Cliffs Experience" thing inside. You have to be mad to go look at that when the cliffs themselves are less than a hundred yards away! Spend your time cliffside, not in the tourist visitor centre. I so miss going to the cliffs long before that centre even existed and there were no protective barriers.

Aran Islands are on my list some day. Timing just never worked out yet. I don't want to go for a day trip - I want to spend a night, possibly two on Innis Mor after the daily tourists have left for the day.

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday was a nice day for a tour. There were only 6 of us on the bus, and it was a smaller model that probably sat 22-24 passengers. Light rain started coming down as we were up near the small castle at the top there, so we didn't stay too long and did go over to the visitors center for tea and scones. Haven't even looked at the photos yet but did have to dry my lens a few times when it was covered by raindrops. I'll post some more later on as breakfast has just arrived and have a bus to Killarney right after that.