Dublin bar launches ‘Welfare Wednesday’ alcohol promotion

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, Jan 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dublin bar launches ‘Welfare Wednesday’ alcohol promotion

Counsellor and Flyer1976 like this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ingenious and one can't blame a bar for trying to attract new business even at a reduced margin. ;)

uggboy likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, while it's maybe good for the owner of the pub / club from a business perspective, me personally thinks that at least some basic ethical questions will have to be asked, overall I'm against this promotion :oops: because it's about alcohol and selling it to the most venerable in our society at prices which would let them drink more and more, that's surely not good. I would love to see promotions for healthy food instead of alcohol. :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Healthy food? In a pub? :eek:

Flyer1976 likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't mean only pubs, it's important to have such promotions for healthy foods instead of "cheap alcohol" in the wider society and this should include the poorest which usually haven't access to the healthiest food choices around. Be it that they're restricted by monetary means, through their poor health or simply they live in an area where healthy food choices aren't on the agenda. That's what I would advocate, I wouldn't support schemes in which the most venerable members in our society get encouraged to consume more alcohol all the while they haven't access to healthy food choices or a better lifestyle, only because people are poor shoudn't mean they want cheap alcohol, I remember correctly that even more affluent "alcoholics" are a given in societies, so it's no excuse to comb them all over the same page. Cheers. :) Regarding healthy foods in pubs then, in so-called "super pubs" it's possible they serve healthy food choices, there's a distinct change in our society taking place were healthy food choices even in unlikely places, such as pubs is being ask for. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better to promote by giving a break on food, period.
    E.g., buy a sandwich at 50% off, drink on your own dime.

uggboy likes this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As long it helps the most venerable, sadly society isn't particular helpful with helping people who need help most.