DUB | Dublin Airport

Discussion in 'DUB | Dublin Airport' started by GoldCircle, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. This is your starting point for all matters related to DUB - Dublin, Ireland.

A second terminal was opened in the last few weeks and flights and airlines are moving about; here is the basic split:

Terminals & Airlines
    Terminal 2:
    • Aer Lingus (all flights)
    • All Transatlantic Flights (EI, CO, US, AA, DL, AC)
    • Etihad
    Terminal 1:
    • Everyone else
    Lounges
    Terminal 2
    • The small DAA lounge (including Priority Pass)
    • The flagship Aer Lingus Gold Circle Lounge
    Terminal 1:
    • bmi British Midland International (Star Gold/Business BD, LH, LO, SK)
    • the Anna Livia Lounge (including Priority Pass)
    • The Aer Lingus Gold Circle lounge in T1b is now closed
    Access
    There is no metro at DUB, however is should arrive before 2020 (the year, not the hour :D). The currently available public transport options are:
    • Taxi (about €20-25 to the city centre, 20-30 mins, tip to the next Euro or two)
    • Private Bus - www.aircoach.ie (€8, comfortable, free internet, 25-40 mins)
    • Public Bus - www.dublinbus.ie (€1.85, safe, 60 mins) or the Express No. 747 is €6 but is far less comfortable than the AirCoach)
    • There are also numerous Coach services to other cities throughout Ireland, including Belfast
    US Immigration Pre-Clearance and Customs
    Both customs and Immigration formalities for the USA are performed in DUB, so arriving flights in America are now treated as domestic. MCTs have dropped significantly since its introduction. However BE WARNED the US-CBP have consistently understaffed the facility, so queue times regularly exceed 1 hour - so a check-in time of 2 hours or more is genuinely needed.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Was going to ask how much a cab costs from DUB to Shelburne Hotel and now I have a good idea, thanks!

3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can always use Www.world taximeter.com as well for any where in the world.

mht_flyer likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are flying directly to the US, you should be aware that DUB does immigration and customs preclearance. Allow extra time to get to the gate for your flight and have your forms ready in advance. The lines can be very bad and IME there is no separate line for elites or premium class passengers.

Upon arrival in the US, you will in principle skip the passport control/immigration step but claim your luggage and go through customs (despite the preclearance--different IME than fro flights from Canada) before exiting the airport or proceeding through security and going to your connecting gate.

5. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew DUB-JFK a couple weeks ago we were basically let out into the terminal, no need to reclear security. I had only carry on but nobody was directed to baggage claim as far as I could see (so I assume baggage was checked thru)

For the OP: There is also Airlink Express line #748 to Heuston Station. Same price and inside pretty much just a regular city bus as far as I could tell.

A "helpful" security guard told those of us waiting at the Terminal 2 Airlink stop that the buses didn't stop there yet, so we hiked over to Terminal 1. Needless to say, he was wrong and the buses did stop there.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I last did DUB-ATL on DL, it was chaotic upon arrival in the international arrivals area. A staff member told some passengers to by-pass the passport control (immigration) desks, but not everyone got the information and there was no way for anyone to tell who had arrived on the pre-cleared flight. We then entered the standard baggage claim area for international flights and then had to stand in the long normal line for customs before exiting the area for bag recheck and then security. It was a big mess and waste of time at both ends.

7. Uh, oh. That sounds terrible - it would be worth a note to DL to complain. It's pointless, if they don't get it together.

I flew CO to EWR a few weeks ago, with hand baggage, and it took 4 mins from the plane to the car waiting for me. Those with bags waited at the domestic baggage collection, not the pre-clearance baggage area.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did complain to DL staff at the airport that day, but the response was basically a shrug, as if to say that this is SOP.