Dual Account Question...

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Alpha Golf, Feb 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Alpha Golf
    Original Member

Alpha Golf Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I messed up - I thought they were going to merge accounts this year. So I'm plat on CO, silver on UA.

I'm flying UA IAD-CDG-IAD. Would like to upgrade return using my UA miles, since it's cheaper than a *A. But would like to credit CO for my plat bonus.

Upgrade isn't available, so I'm waitlisted. If I switch to OP# at outbound checkin, will I lose my place on waitlist? Or if it clears, will they try do it as a *A from my OP account?

2. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that they can do the upgrade without affecting your "mileage-earning" program selection. Stand by... someone will come along that can definitively answer your question.

Do you know that there is NC space on your return?

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. Actually both CO and UA can do this. You do not have to have the account from which the miles come listed at all on the reservation other than in the award. That's how it is possible to use your miles to upgrade someone else.

And this is different than the splitting of credentials on UA reservations that allows benefits from one and credit to another. If it was a UDU route you'd have to go that way but since it is an instrument-based upgrade that doesn't really matter.

4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, I guess this just means the OP needs the magic words. Since it is a UA flight and he's using UA miles for the upgrade, I would think that he'd need to call Mileage Plus for the upgrade which means he'll (most likely) get India. If he doesn't know exactly what to tell them, it is sure to get screwed up (from my experience.)