DTW-PEK Recommendations Needed

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by danimal, Apr 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. danimal
    Original Member

danimal Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to try to book a mileage upgrade to Business for DTW-PEK (~ 7day roundtrip) around the second week of July after the non-stop has started service. I want the MQMs for re-qualification and I'm willing to pay the Y/B/M fare if I can confirm the upgrade. I miss the NW system that let me do this when I booked the ticket online!

I'm looking for recommendations for assistance. For example, should I purchase Expert Flyer to check inventory/availability ahead of time or try to use a service such as ThePointsGuy?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would recommend The Points Guy to help you out here.

danimal likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.

I would start by just calling DL. The elite line agents have been pretty decent recently AFAIK, although based on my personal experiences I would hang up and call back if the CVG call center is reached and very happy if you get Chisholm. They might be able to find you an M fare and upgrade space pretty easily, in which case there would be no reason to get and learn EF for now. (IIRC, they offer a free trial week.)

Before calling, you might want to explore other routings if they can get any promo miles, just to see what possibilities should be checked. Also, check aircraft types. The 777-LR is wonderful!

Most promo T&C rules require registration, sometimes before tickets are booked and purchased. Be sure to do this first if there's some bonus being offered for the new route. Also, remember that miles are based on fare class purchased, not cabin flown, so that you would not receive any business class bonus, only the miles for an M coach fare.

danimal likes this.
  4. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just looked up expertflyer for the first two weeks in July and DL189 DTW-PEK has ample Z (upgrade) inventory available except on July 9 and 16. Note that the flight does not operate on Tues/Wed (i.e., Jul 5, 6, 12, 13, etc) out of DTW.
    Also, the 777-200ER will be operating the route, but they will have the flat-bed BusinessElite seats (like the 777-200LR ones) by then.

Gargoyle and danimal like this.
  5. danimal
    Original Member

danimal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks DeltaExpert and MSPeconomist for the welcome (I was/am an original FT also) and the advice.

I'm a DL Gold and I will try to call first, but I am not counting it. If I am not successful with the agents, I will probably try The Points Guy or similar service over trying to navigate EF for the first time.

I am looking forward to the 777 and was excited when Delta announced service to PEK.

I think that Y/B/M fares get the 150% MQM earnings the same as purchased J/C.

6. danimal
    Original Member

danimal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much ClipperDelta for the information!!

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, YBM earns 150% MQMs, but DL frequently offers some extra miles for new routes and at least sometimes they make a distinction between purchased business/FC versus purchased coach (with or without an upgrade).

For something this straightforward and especially with ClipperDelta's help here, I don't think you'll need to resort to some outside service to get the ticket you want.

danimal likes this.
  8. danimal
    Original Member

danimal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification. I understand the distinction now. I will definitely be on the lookout for any promotions before I book.

I definitely appreciate the help from everyone!

9. danimal
    Original Member

danimal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for all of the information/advice so far.

One change is that now I am looking at August 7 or 8 to leave DTW to PEK for ~ 7days. The project that I am working on got delayed and I have to stay to make sure that it launches well on August 1 plus 3-4 days to clear any bugs. Based on the information from ClipperDelta, if I don't hit the Sunday or Monday, I'm waiting until August 11.

I'm going over to visit my sister, her husband, and my 3 nieces. My sister is taking a sabbatical July - August so the timing is more dependent on my work schedule to fit in a 1 week trip between her dates.

Thanks!

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right now, Aug 7, 8, and 11 all have the upgrade inventory available on DTW-PEK.

Gargoyle and danimal like this.
  11. danimal
    Original Member

danimal Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you very much ClipperDelta!