DTW-CDG to go year round

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, May 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    USA Today: Delta's Detroit-Paris flight to be year-round

:)

ryandc99 and LETTERBOY like this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anybody know if this is additional capacity to Europe or simply replacing capacity on a different route? More capacity to Europe would be good.

LETTERBOY and rwoman like this.
  3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could, ultimately, replace the AF service...right now, it looks to be additional, but this is DL and we know it can always change! :)

4. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course things will change! And true that it could replace AF service. Oh well, I'll keep crossing my fingers for more TATL capacity, lower fares, and better award availability. :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If DL takes over the route entirely from AF, I think we all know what's going to happen there! :)

autolycus likes this.
  6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention the elimination of a tolerably-priced route on which to use SWUs. (Although the dates I checked showed DTW-CDG pretty heavily booked in J, so not much O to be had.)

autolycus likes this.
  7. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I liked your response for its truth, but I really dislike the content. :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    As do I, sadly. :(:)

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard that the DL flight will go from 767 to A330 in the fall. My guess is that the AF flight will disappear in the fall and possibly return next summer.

autolycus likes this.
  10. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    So basically swapping DL seasonal/AF year-round for DL year-round/AF seasonal . . .

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's my best guess, but we will see what happens to this route later.

12. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just tell me when AF is going to start upgauging to the A380 on some of these US routes, and I'll be happy! :)

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't there a daily LAX-CDG and JFK-CDG on the A380, plus some days on IAD-CDG?

autolycus likes this.
  14. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Daily LAX is slated to start in late May. (They need more than one airframe to operate the route, so they're waiting on the next A380 delivery.) I think IAD is daily some of the year. JFK gets one daily rotation on the A380, as does YUL (not US, but close enough). I'm not thinking A380 service to one of the fortress hubs will come any time soon. ATL-CDG benefits from frequency to create volume, it seems. I'd guess KE will send an A380 to ATL before AF does.

autolycus likes this.
  15. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    KE has already said that they will start flying the A380 on the ATL-ICN route at the very beginning of 2013. I think ATL still has a few more changes to make to handle the plane without having to literally walk the runway and taxiway before each landing or takeoff. I am also unsure of whether the tweaks to two gates have been made yet to allow double jetways. And to be clear, I was hoping for the current frequency of flights AND the A380! :)

16. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't it the ATL airport authorities that said KE was toying with the A380 on ICN-ATL from January? I don't recall seeing an announcement from the airline. Need to run, otherwise I'd go check the GDS to see what equipment they're listing.

autolycus likes this.
  17. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The recent articles have only included official statements from Hartsfield officials, but Korean Air had made announcements about flying the A380 to ATL last June (2011), with an expected start date of sometime in 2012. Air France also requested that ATL be modified to support the A380. I highly doubt ATL officials made the recent announcement without KE being on board. The A380 will replace the 747 for the 1x daily route, according to the stories from last year.

18. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll believe it when KE announces it, and then expect it to slip a few months like FRA did. However, looking near end-of-schedule, the 3x weekly ATL-ICN is zeroed out, suggesting that they might be heading toward a change. The equipment change to the A380 would be a massive improvement to the hard product on a major hub-hub route.

19. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last post on this since we're way off topic---SORRY!!!---but I did find reports that specifically mention January 13, 2013 as the start date for the A380 on the route.