Drunk honeymooner accused of punching flight attendant

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Jun 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/263118791.html

Federal prosecutors say a drunken passenger assaulted a flight attendant while flying from Japan to Honolulu.

Kenji Okamoto pleaded guilty Friday to interfering with a flight attendant's duties by assaulting and intimidating him.

According to a criminal complaint, Okamoto was flying first-class from Osaka for his honeymoon last month when flight attendants noticed he was drunk before takeoff and continued drinking alcohol during the flight.

The court documents say Okamoto got upset when one of the flight attendants wouldn't take his tray away.

Read More: http://www.wkyt.com/news/headlines/263118791.html

gregm, uggboy and Newscience like this.
  2. N670DN
    Original Member

N670DN Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder why the flight attendants didn't stop serving him if they noticed that the passenger was drunk before takeoff.

Flyer1976, gregm and FetePerfection like this.
  3. Scott Weinberg
    Original Member

Scott Weinberg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, he didn't stop drinking the alcohol. He was too extremely drunks. He had enough already. They won't give him another drinks. He have to stay in sobers for 8 hours without flying. He could banned flying Delta for life.

4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    He would have argued and delayed the flight. The other couple of hundred pax would have been pissed. (Not piss-ass drunk, mind you!)

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If he was going to be a problem customer then he would simply be denied passage and taken off the flight.

6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then again, if visibly drunk I suppose he should have been denied boarding. But since he made it on, that's the story. I know way too many FAs who would rather turn a blind eye towards a drunk rather than try to kick 'em off.

Flyer1976 and blackjack-21 like this.
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't there an FAA regulation against boarding visibly inebriated (as in pissed drunk) passengers? If so, then someone should have been called to task before the flight even got off the ground. Delaying a flight is one thing, but putting the flight crew, passengers, and those on the ground in danger brings this to a much more important need to follow the published rules. This incident wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the point of a confrontation on board had the rules been adhered to at the time of boarding.

gregm likes this.
  8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep, as well as that now old rule about turning off electronics. There are rules that go unenforced in order to be non-confrontational. I recently watched a man board with a beer in a plastic cup. Since he was already on the aircraft, was he supposed to dump it in the garbage? He was allowed to chug it at the boarding door. :rolleyes:

blackjack-21 likes this.
  9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, he should have been told to dump the brew in the galley's garbage, which is usually near the aircraft's boarding doors. Being non-confrontational before boarding or as he boarded obviously smashed in the incident with the drunken honeymooner then brought the confrontation to a more dangerous point while the flight was airborne.

Not enforcing baggage sizes or cellphone use on board may be one thing, but allowing a visibly drunken passenger on board a commercial aircraft shouldn't be something that is to be overlooked for fear of upsetting a paying pax who may then later put the flight and all aboard in jeopardy. No space for leeway IMO.

10. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm embarrassed to say but I have informed the flight crew of visibly drunken passengers that had one too many in the Airline Lounge if they're on the same flight as me. So that they know not to serve more to these passengers onboard.

blackjack-21 likes this.
  11. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would you be embarrassed to say this? IMHO this is like saying your embarrassed to tell your host that a guest who is about to drive home had too much to drink. And yes I know they are not flying the plane but that could endanger other passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

blackjack-21 and Flyer1976 like this.
  12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I completely agree with you and that's why I said something to the Purser.

I'm embarrassed because the person in question is a friend of mine and he was complaining afterwards that the flight crew treated him awfully. I didn't want his flight to be "ruined" but he did have one too many to drink and would have continued to drink onboard. Le Sigh

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    blackjack-21 likes this.