Drugstore cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by TheDapperDon, Apr 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TheDapperDon

TheDapperDon New Member

Status Points:
    What cards out there offer bonus points for drugstore purchases?

2. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AMEX Hilton card offers 6x bonus for drug stores until May. Not sure if its worth it due to their devaluation?

TravelBear and GoodBoy like this.
  3. hiima

hiima Member

Status Points:
    Why only until May?

4. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amex is cutting that bonus category amount in May.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

5. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sad trombone ...

Though, I suppose, there are probably plenty of people who will argue that 1x SPG > 6x HHonors.

merice107 and Singapore Flyer like this.
  6. merice107

merice107 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Although as always it depends on your personal situation and goals.

7. andhoova

andhoova Silver Member

Status Points:
    So my May statement for my Hilton Surpass card closes at the end of next week. That means I have until then to maximize the 6x bonus at drugstores with Vanilla Reloads. In light if the Hilton devaluation. Is it worth it to purchase 5k in Vanilla Reloads over the next week for 30k hhonors points or should I switch this to my United Explorer card or Amex PRG?

Vanilla Reloads are easy to find where I live with a out 5 CVS locations near by

8. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope your not my neighbor stealing beans from my 5 CVSs ;) I say yes they are, but I have had alot of good hilton experiences in my life.

Looking at the baseline options, ie that you paid $40 for 10 BB cards, and a 2% cash back card would net you $100 in return. That means your out about $60 for your 30k Hilton points. Basically your paying about 0.2 CPP. People say that hilton points are worth about 0.3 to 0.4 CPP though my personal experience has been closer to 0.5 CPP. That puts your value of your points at ~$100 which I think is a little underrated.

Or to put it a different way, 1 night somewhere like the Conrad Koh Samui will cost you ~$130 in BB Fees or ~$200 in lost opportunity cost on cash back. The Rate on that room is $980 (May 16th random day picked). But then that may not be how you book rooms.

I guess we start back at the beginning. If you like spending points at hiltons, do it.

F/D I ran 10k this month on surpass for my statement ending tomorrow. If you are my neighbor maybe I should feel bad for you ;)