Dropping initial award segments

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by mtkeller, Jul 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen some discussion on Traveling Better and in a couple of threads on TOBB about AA allowing you to drop the initial segment of an award for free as long as the award type and country of origin don't change. However, what I can't seem to get an answer to before I start playing AAgent roulette is if it's possible to drop two segments in one fell swoop. I have OMA-DFW-LGA(stopover)JFK-HKG-BKK ticketed. I need to drop the domestic segments, leaving just JFK-HKG-BKK. I'd prefer to do this for free in one phone call. Has anyone done this? (I have no AA status.) It seems the alternative would be to drop OMA-DFW and then once it's been reticketed, call to drop DFW-LGA. However, that means having to find a competent agent twice and potentially setting off some red flags that make them resistant, since this rule doesn't seem well-known. One way to mask things a bit might be to drop OMA-DFW, then later move DFW-LGA to be a couple of months later, and finally drop DFW-LGA entirely. But that's even more of a mess.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would the DFW-LGA moved a couple of months later still be prior to the JFK departure? If not that will almost certainly not work.

3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Clearly it wouldn't work to take things out of order. OMA-DFW-LGA is in a couple of weeks, while JFK-BKK-HKG is in November. Lots of room to play around with things.