Droid Bionic

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by chanp, Sep 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Out today on VZW, $299 w new 2 year contract. Who's getting one? If not, what are you waiting for?

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    iPhone 5.

Edited to add: Engadget's review of the device. (If you want the point of the review: Engadget doesn't seem that impressed with it, battery lackluster).

Jimgotkp likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will probably making a decision once the iPhone 5 comes out. Would rather know the specifics of the new iPhone before purchasing a Droid.

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So far, the top-tier LTE phones from Verizon, HTC's Thunderbolt and Motorola's Bionic, seem to have battery issues. That alone concerns me.

I have waited almost a year to chuck my BlackBerry, I can wait another month or two to see what the iPhone 5 is like. After the antenna issue with 4, I'm fairly confident Apple is going to be double-checking everything on 5 to make sure there isn't a repeat of the antenna thing.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the Bionic was delayed too often to make it worth getting at this point.

The next batch of phones are dual core 1.4-1.5GHz and are built around Ice Cream Sandwich.

SC Flier likes this.
  6. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    Picked one up today. Seems like my Droid X I had last year. Put it up against the X, Bionic is faster. In the 4G area, this thing downloads things really quick. Havent messed too much with it yet. Will post later.

If anyone wants one, I suggest Costco. For 279.99, I got the phone, nav doc, extra battery, cla, leather case, external battery charger and car mount. I think those extras alone must be over $100, if not more. Plus, they only charge sales tax on the price your buying the phone at, not full retail, like VZW does. Talked with my buddy at VZW, he said he cant touch that deal and to get it at Costco. Good luck!

7. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think your right. Will try the Bionic and if I dont like it, get the new one. I think ICS will be avail to all the phones shortly after release, esp these new dual core ones.

8. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a big apple fan as well, but from what I'm reading, no 4g/lte on the IP5, so no go for me.

9. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yes until a single chipset can handle both 3G and LTE, no LTE for iPhone. We're probably talking iPhone 6 at the earliest...according to what I have heard as well...which is sad since I can't wait to chuck my Blackberry Storm 2.

10. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm willing to ditch my BB Storm 2 prior to an LTE iPhone coming out.

If it boils down to waiting a few more seconds to have a webpage pop-up versus waiting another year or so for an LTE-enabled device....I'll take the iPhone 5.

11. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    LTE is supposedly 5-10 times faster than 3G. We shall see.