Driving licence in Samoa

Discussion in 'Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific' started by kraven, Jan 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that I have to obtain a local driving licence while driving in Samoa, but does anybody know if I need my local driving licence (a German/EU one) or an international driving licence to get the local one?

2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can always count on the Aussies with good advice for the region. http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/samoa
    This says you can get the Samoan license from a car rental agency with an Australian license. I would carry an international permit also, but expect any EU license will work just the same way.

kraven likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that the international license is valid only in conjunction with your national driving license. You absolutely cannot drive on just the international license and it should never be accepted alone as a substitute for a license.

If you plan to rent a car abroad, it is wise to have a current international license as some local agencies require it. Having one just makes things easier, more convenient, and more worry free than being concerned about whether you will need it or not.

kraven likes this.
  4. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just saw that my international driving licence expires soon, so I wonder if it's worth to get a new one just for this trip...

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMO it is worth it not to worry, but I can get a new international license quick and easy at my local AAA office, IIRC for $10 and a passport photo which they make for me for free.