driving from TX to LA.... speed limit issues?

Discussion in 'Other U.S. Destinations' started by Gaucho, Jun 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be driving from Houston to St. Francisville LA.... I know from experience that in Texas you can go faster than the speed limit... but whats the custom in LA...? Someone told me that they are strict over there, and especially so if you have a TX plate.... ????

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interstate highways are generally patrolled by state cops while other roads are usually handled by local police (county, township, etc.). It's thus harder to generalize away from the interstates: one locality can be much harsher than others, although less leeway is likely to be granted to out-of-state plates. There was (is still?) a time when certain southern counties were notorious for stopping out-of-towners/northerners/minorities and other undesirables on bogus moving violations and locking them up until payment was made; AAA had a guaranteed bail bond partly because of this. However, note that once stopped, the police officer can immediately see that it's a rental vehicle and you're from out-of-town/state/country even if it has in-state plates.

Nevertheless, having southern or in-state license plates is likely to result in being stopped less. Remember that rental cars can have plates from anywhere.

viguera likes this.
  3. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just go with the speed of everyone else. Although "I was just following the car in front of me" isn't a credible excuse, it's easier to blend in if you follow the pack and locals know what is usually tolerated

If you're on the road and it's fairly empty I just go 5 over. I've realized from GPSs that going faster doesn't necessarily get you there significantly faster.

4. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    I-10 through LA is a mess of speed traps, especially on bridges and around construction zones. Speed limits will be 70, then 45, then 55, then 50, then 65 in just a few miles. Be vigilant.

Gaucho likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember too that many states double or triple the fines for speeding in construction zones. This can be very expensive.

Gaucho likes this.