Driving And Car Rental In Mexico

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, May 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://blog.seattlepi.com/washingtonadventures/2012/05/24/driving-and-car-rental-in-mexico/

If I have to summarize everything in just one sentence, it would be this:
    DON’T RENT A CAR IN MEXICO​
    You’ve probably read the same about driving in Mexico in every travel guide:
    “They’re all crazy!”
    “It’s dangerous!”
    “Don’t drive at night!”
    “Watch out for armed bandidos and highway robbers!”

I grew up driving in Russia, I drove in the world’s largest megalopolises like Moscow, New York and L.A. Driving in Seattle ( one of America’s most traffic congested cities ) is no piece of cake either. But I’ve never seen that many retards behind the wheel as I saw in Mexico !

At first look, it may appear that there are no traffic rules at all. As it turned out later, there are some traffic rules, but all of them are “flexible based on circumstances”.

In Mexico, it’s always Make Your Own Lane Day! Your lane is wherever you can fit. The speed limits in Mexico are largely ignored, with people driving at only one of two speeds: eye-clawingly slow or terrifyingly fast, a choice seemingly independent of the number of people crammed into their car or truck.

Read More: http://blog.seattlepi.com/washingtonadventures/2012/05/24/driving-and-car-rental-in-mexico/

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    DON’T RENT A CAR IN MEXICO = Well said.:)

perryplatypus and Espan like this.
  3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have not had any trouble with other motorists while driving in Mexico on the two occasions that I've rented a car there. The police, on the other hand. . .

PS: Had no trouble at all driving in the Yucatan, and got to see a lot of out-of-the-way places that would not have been accessible otherwise.

Sweet Willie and Espan like this.
  4. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right. I'd certainly advise against driving in DF. And a reasonable ability to speak Spanish is probably very helpful. But a rental car for touring around the Yucatan, or some of the Pacific beaches isn't beyond the pay level of many travelers...

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    any trouble with the police while driving in the Yucatan? That is about the only place I can see myself renting a car in Mexico going foward.

FWIW, we rented a car in San Jose del Cabo to drive around & specifically to make the easy trek to Todos Santos, which was a beautiful drive along the coast.

6. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I rented a car in Yucatan for 3 days to see the ruins, etc the problem was finding a good car.
    Several were missing gas pedals......lol

Police are reasonable in this area......but times change and depends on where you are going and time of day/night. Best not to drive at night in Mexico anymore.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Driving a car in Mexico is a giant game of "Chicken". Two cars approach the same spot, the one that refuses to back off wins.

And there are a couple of unique traits in Mexican Drivers, particularly in Rural Areas.

1. Left Turns are conducted by pulling to the Shoulder on the Right and waiting for the traffic to clear. (Sort of like a Michigan Left Turn).
    2. If your car breaks down, place large rocks behind it so that people coming around a bend or in the dark will hit the rocks instead of your car..
    3. Don't bother to look for Street Signs
    4. "Libre" is the free road. Forgot the Toll name. Libre may take a little longer but it will be cheaper.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    We did not have any trouble driving in the Yucatan, except that the Pemex station at the Tulum crossroads managed to short me a 500 peso note (they are evidently known for doing this). Assuming that you're planning to visit the interior, renting a car can be a good idea here as there are many smaller, lesser known things to see as well as back road driving options.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried driving in Rome, italy?

10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, took a while for me to realize that "Cancun Libre" was a road, not an anti-tourist revolutionary movement. Or a rum drink.

"Toll" is "Cuota", by the way.

Sweet Willie and Mapsmith like this.
  11. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seattle is bad????? Try violating any driving law here and get a ticket.
    Seattle is controlled mayhem!

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

Seriously? Who'd use a debit card?!

euromannn and Sweet Willie like this.
  13. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    ahhh Mexico...those were the days my friends!

Actually, it's better using a credit card to contest all charges. Debits take money immediately then you must contest if you have the Matercard/Visa logo on the card.

I know a person who had overdraft protection on his checking account. His debit card number was stolen and they charged $10,000 in 2 days draining his saving account which provided the additional funds to checking account.

If this had been a credit card all charges could have been contested due to fraud and no payment made. However, using debit card his money was gone immediately and waited 6 months to be compensated by the bank.

14. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! Couldn't agree with you more.

15. dekeknute1

dekeknute1 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've had no trouble in the Yucatan, always take the coverages regardless of reliance upon my insurance carrier or Amex....

16. TL4

TL4 Active Member

Status Points:
    Being to Yucatan three times and drove to Chiapas and Campeche as well and i had no problem driving. i actually feel very comfortable. the only thing that I'm annoyed about is when i get lost. :))))