Driver in India?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by ChicagoEric, Jan 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife will be in New Dehli for a couple days soon, traveling alone. We'd like to hire a driver for her to pick her up from the airport, take her to the hotel, a couple meetings over the two days she is there and then back to the airport.

Any suggestions? Thoughts on what reasonable rates would be?

Thanks for any help...

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    An expensive but very secure approach would be to work with her hotel concierge if she's going to be staying in a top property.

If this is a business trip, ask her local colleagues to make the arrangements if possible.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always arranged this via the hotel when I was in Hyderabad and Bangalore. They had designated car services since none of their international guests would dare to drive anywhere by themselves ;)

I'd call or email the hotel and ask if they have drivers or contract with such a service and book the airport pick-up. In my experience, the day-to-day can easily be booked as needed, i.e., in the morning I would go to the lobby, tell the "travel desk" that I'd need a car to the office in about an hour, then go have breakfast, and when I am ready to leave there's a car waiting for me. The driver would then either give me a card to call for the return trip or ask when I wanted to be picked up. If I was planning to stay only half a day, the driver would also just wait in the parking lot.

4. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would ask the hotel to arrange the service. I've done it many times and find it well worth the cost.

She will have the choice of being dropped off/picked up or having the driver wait for her the entire time. All depends how much you want to pay.