Drinks for Executive Platinum while flying economy

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Rajivroy, May 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Rajivroy

Rajivroy Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an executive platinum member a bulk of the time, I am flying business using the upgrade. The few times, I have traveled coach, I am bummed at the limitation of free alcohol drinks served.

On this last flight, the air-hostess looked up the manual and showed me it was only one free alcoholic drink.

In previous flights, the hostesses may not have read the manual but provided multiple drinks.

I strongly recommending allowing at least 2 free drinks when executive platinum people fly coach. And come to think of it why limit it to 2?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm fine with the one drink, mostly because .... I don't drink. ;)

I enjoy the trail mix on AE flights though.....

rwoman likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As an AA EXP who's been, ahem, "enjoying" some time on UA.... :rolleyes:

UA gives it's elites sitting in coach ZERO drinks. It also gives them a sharp stick in the eye on a number of other items where AA comes out ahead, IMO.

Not to say that I wouldn't like two free drinks as well, but I appreciate that AA added this as a benefit a couple of years ago.

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are a 1K, though, you do get a packet of free drink coupons each year for use in coach. I have a stash of those in my travel document case.

viguera likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Then, I'm apparently missing a benefit. The good folks who convinced me to move over to UA commented on how much they liked this benefit on AA, so I just assumed it didn't exist on UA.

6. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just a lowly Premier on UA this past year, and I received, in the mail, four (4) paper coupons for drinks. Of which, one fine FA 'forgot' to take two (2) of the coupons, and when I reminded him, later, of course, he said he was too busy to be rememberin' drink chits. The wife and I were pleased with that one.

Which brings me to a question, since this is the AA forum. Living in Illinois, and since UA hasn't matched the DEQM AA promo, I think I can establish 'Premier' status on AA fairly easily, with just four (4) ORD to LAX round trips. My question is, how does the AA 'Premier' status compare with UA's? Like I said above, I was just a lowly Premier on UA, but my wife and I had a couple complimentary First Class upgrades, (ORD / MCO, RT) and I had a RT SFO / OGG First Class upgrade this past October. Plus the Economy Plus seating when in coach, and 'free' baggage, all for just being a Premier. IF I go for the AA Premier, does it come with all that? Or more? Or less?

Thanks for any information, and I didn't mean to steal the thread.

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gold at AA is going to be different than Premier at UA. AA does not have an unlimited domestic upgrade program at the Gold level, and they don't have a group of seats with a few inches of extra legroom like UA, so your best option is to try and grab an emergency exit row seat.

Wurm and cvsara like this.
  8. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then, I would ask, what is the advantage for the flyer to choose AA over UA for either Gold or Premier? Living in Downstate Illinois, those two are about the only two options we have. Especially when your favorite destination is OGG.
    (Not many opportunities for Mileage Runs either.

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There may not be a reason to select AA at the Gold level when you look strictly at the flight experience. In terms of benefits, though, AA does offer some things UA does not. Two I can think of right off the top of my head are 40K off peak awards to Europe and South America. In the case of Europe, it's a rather long season running October 15-May 15. The second area is One World awards which allow up to 16 segments on a single mileage-based award ticket, allowing you to crisscross the world. UA does not have anything equivalent.

slice19 likes this.
  10. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank You, Tom, for your very helpful insite. Certainly something to think about. I really appreciate your help
    BTW, your photos of Rome are just great. Maybe it's time to use some of the AA miles I have for a trip. The wife has never been and I haven't been to Rome since I worked for the government back in 66. (1966) My photos of the Vatican are quite different than yours.

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was my first trip to Rome that didn't involve a convent stay (they run around 50 euros a night now). I actually stayed at a hotel I booked with AA miles getting a 33% discount because of top tier AA status. I don't know if they extend that discount to other AA elites. Even with a $1.48 euro when I was there I found meals reasonable, spending about $22 a night for salad, pasta and wine. Spent around $250 on the ground for 6 days including meals, transit and admission fees. Not bad for a trip just booked 8 days out.

chanp likes this.
  12. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm happy that AA provides a free drink and a food item. I can remember when they did not. I know that all I am really entitled to is what I paid for. If AA gives me an upgrade, I am happy to get it. If there is no upgrade available for me, but I get a sandwich and a drink, I'm still happy (not quite as happy, but still happy).

But if you think AA isn't aware that some EXPs would prefer multiple free drinks to one free drink, you would have a greater chance of getting a change made by writing AA instead of telling us. We have no power to make it happen.

13. Rajivroy

Rajivroy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I already have complained to American. And I really dont care how the other programs work, I just would like to see American step up. FWIW, When I am on Cathay, as a one world member flying coach, I have NO restrictions on free drinks. I limit myself to 2 drink per flight.

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    CX is bringing you glasses of Krug from the front?

Or do you mean you can have as many alcoholic drinks as you want?

If the later I don't think that's uncommon on a foreign carrier, status or no status.

15. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think you need to look at what other domestic US carriers offer, not compare with Cathay. Most international carriers offers free alcohol in coach, US carriers don't, that's just the way it is.

Even if the rule is only one free drink, I think most FAs are a lot more generous than that. I know several EXPs myself and have witnessed EXPs get multiple drinks in coach many times myself.

Like most have said, on United and Delta, you get squat as top tier, so AA has already stepped up to go above and beyond what their competitors do

AnthonyB1609 and viguera like this.
  16. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    And just to add, AA Golds can select exit row seats at the time of booking (I'm not sure whether United 2P's are able to do that)? .

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If I remember correctly, they don't get exit row access, but they do get Y+ access.

18. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Exit row is for 1P and higher only. I like the bulkhead (row 7) on AA and also bulkhead row 6 on UA. You can't pick bulkhead on American at any tier level, though, just emergency exit

19. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, even one free drink is good news to me! Does this include domestic flights? And does it include a free drink for one's companion (who's probably holding back my upgrade)?

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Includes flight on AA/AE domestically. Much better FA recognition on AE flights than mainline though. Benefit is for you, but perhaps a nice FA will grant you another beverage for your companion. :)

21. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the crew. I've had several FAs on mainline that went over the top with recognition when I didn't get upgraded, including one that came to my exit-row seat, personally thanked me for flying with them, and made sure I knew the free-drink/food item policy. AE is generally good, especially the crews on the NY flights, on the west coast I had to ask for the bag of trail mix, which was properly comped.

22. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well everything depends on the crew you get. ;) I've yet to get anything on mainline though.... :(

23. KtownTraveler
    Original Member

KtownTraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had no problem. I've merely asked and immediately received. Maybe the FAs working LAX-MIA see so many EXPs left in Y they're used to the drill. :(

24. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure they do. Much more than my short hops around the Midwest!

25. superscot
    Original Member

superscot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never had a problem on TATL Y - although in the early days of the programme the FA usually had to go and check. Once checked, I've usually been offered multiple drinks. Can't comment on mainline domestic as I'm 100% on upgrades since the benefit started :)