Drinking Ireland - A biased journey!

Discussion in 'Europe' started by anileze, Jul 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    In all the decades of my wanderings, If ever there was a place where I feel at ease, it has to be Ireland. The pura vida of Europe. The joy of drinking and liming, other than the caribbean islands and one's own neighborhood, it has to be Ireland.

Of nearly all the places in Europe (and some of the FSUs) a place where the people are warm and friendly, it has to be Irish. Bar none ! No ifs and no buts about it - Not Spain, not Italy, not Denmark, not Sweden, Not Poland, not Czechoslovakia, not Yugoslavia. It's not that the Danes, the swedes, or the Czech or Dutch or Serbs or Pollacks are rude, it's just that they are not Irish :) Thanks Higgs-Boson for that !

The pub-ness of a typical bar In ireland is what, Chris Alexander's in essence would call, in his pattern language - a quality without labels - It has a "wholeness" to it. It's beyond architecture, and yet the elements of the built form wrap around the irish soul. Or what the Danes called hygge or cosy-wraparoundness.

3pubc1.jpg 4ir3.jpg pub12.jpg 3pubsk5.jpg 3pubml4.jpg 2mai.jpg 3pubc4.jpg

[This is a very biased and opinionated journey through land of milk and honey ;) If you disagree, or do not like - TS .]

(more to come)

2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lest one mistake my saying earlier post above, to be an euphoric description; I dissuade you of it. In spite of containerized shipping of the Shamrock magic complete with scratch-laden bar counters, flags and dark wooden shelves, Space alone does not an Irish bar make !

4ireda1.jpg 3pubsk4.jpg 1pub9.jpg 3sallys.jpg 2murp.jpg 3pubml3.jpg uskin4.jpg kegp.jpg

I could tell you of the time, when the first pour of the day was quaffed my moi, and nearly the last of the day was a shot of jamesons with lunch, dinner and thousands of stories in between. Or the tales the bartender regaled of travel from Far East to Southern tips of Chile while he drinking milk, and I, fresh pours of Murphy and salted peanuts.

While the Eurotrash and gringos might have packed the Temple bar and hooted at bad music in a bad space, for every "Temple Bar" there are thousands like Sallys and Collins.

3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, and on at least six of the seven continents.

Some of the best aren't even in Europe. One of my favorites is Ryan's in Accra.

I talked with a diplomat once who said he believed you could find an Irish pub in any national capital, with the exception of Ouagadougou and Pyongyang.

uggboy and anileze like this.
  4. chrisontour84

chrisontour84 Member

Status Points:
    Dublin is a great place to drink hehe. Used to come there each month for work and I can tell from expierence :)

anileze likes this.