Dreamliner suffers further problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jan 11, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Dreamliner suffers further problems ||

I'm sure Boeing will iron out any problems, it's all about experience in the field.

jbcarioca and sobore like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heard on the radio this morning the list of issues Boeing is facing with the Dreamliner, it took a while to get through the list. :(

jbcarioca, guinnessxyz and uggboy like this.
  3. The problems don't seem to be about the composite materials however and are coming from early deliveries of the plane. My airline, AC, won't get any until next year so that's a good omen for me.

4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    ANA has had three cracked windshields, the latest one only a few hours ago. Those usually happen due to inadequate expansion/contraction at seams and with connectors (I have personally had two such incidents as a pilot) and rarely are safety of flight issues due to all the layers, but it is still disconcerting. ANA reports a good many such events in their short haul fleet that goes through a large number of pressurization cycles. Usually such problems are not absolute pressure but pressurization cycles as a cause. given that the B787 has a higher pressurization differential than do other Boeings this is no surprise. For Boeing the long term fix for taht will probably be a little while coming. Luckily it is not a major risk. However it does scare the wits out of anybody around as a loud CRAAACCCKKK is accompanied by a highly visible separation. Thank the designers for many layers!

milchap and sobore like this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D Cracks and separation are not great friends of commercial airliners.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but they have not been safety of flight issues since the days of the DeHaviland Comet, the crashes of which taught the world about metal fatigue in 1953. It was the first commercial airliner powered by jet engines. Now when a window cracks it is virtually always a single layer. Scary, yes. But airliners haven't crashed due to that problem since the early 1950's, except for the well publicized B737 metal fatigue problems, the subject of myriad Airworthiness Directives. Even those are now handled by redesign, different manufacturing processes, and better inspections.

In sum modern airliners do not have structural integrity problems that are not quickly addressed before accidents happen. The A380 wing fasteners are analogous. Dangerous, no. Scary, yes.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint

sobore likes this.
  7. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    How soon we forget !
    New aircraft always have problems......and since the dreamliner is an even newer concept, it is to be expected to have problems.
    However, I am prudent and will not book a flight on it for a while, :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are still trying to work out the kinks on this baby! :D

[​IMG]

guinnessxyz, milchap and jbcarioca like this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think prudently too, so I'll fly on a B787 when I can because of higher onboard humidity and lower cabin altitude that will keep me healthier, reasons similar to my propensity to fly the A380 every chance i get.

guinnessxyz, sobore and milchap like this.