DPS,KUL,HKG,KIX,TYO in 18 days....part 1:chasing the A380

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by olmangsr, Apr 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello Everyone!
    This is my first trip report so please easy on me…:)
    After Thai announced their A380 routes a booked myself and wifey a trip to DPS..first leg on LH to FRA and from there all the way on TG. unfortunately due to some schedule changes my itinerary changed to JFk-GVA-FRA-BKK-DPS.of course i wasn't too happy first since who wants an extra connection when they are already flying 26 hours but since I always wanted to try LX I just sticked to it(fyi:united did offer to make any changes or redeposit my miles free of charge but I really wanted to fly the A380.
    It's been a while since I visited T4 and was pleasantly surprised that now TSA is right after the check-in making the all the lounges airside.The Swiss lounge was pretty busy with both ZRH&GVA flight almost fully booked plus of course all the *A elites.I'm sure most of you has been there already so no pictures of that.
    Flight LX23 JFK-GVA
    We had seats 5A&5B which are located in the mini-cabin.Personally I liked the private feel of it and would try to stick to it on a future flight.I loved the seat minimalistic but still elegant style .A little side note:if you're in row 5 as a couple choose the center seats because they have much bigger armrests…
    I found the seats to be really comfortable for "relaxing" but a bit to narrow when sleeping and you desire to spread out a bit more.They are almost on the same level as the floor so that can bother some people...
    View attachment 44423
    View attachment 44424
    I was planning a on having a quick dinner and go to sleep asap and get the most rest possible but unfortunately the flight crew wasn't too helpful with that….Regardless that all three courses were served at the same time meal service took over 2,5 hours(!) leaving me only a maximum of 5 hours to sleep.Not only because it took almost 1,5 hours to received any sort of food,they didn't check back for a looong time.I soon realized I'll have to give up on getting a second glass of wine followed by sitting with empty plates for almost 30 mins.
    For dinner I had the Wasabi Salmon with rice which I have to admit it was one of the tastiest dishes I've ever had in the sky(soon will fly CX F so that won't last too long:)

View attachment 44425
    Al in one I liked LX but wasn't amazed.While I found to hard product to be great and the food was delicious the service kind of ruined my expectation(Maybe I was a bit more annoyed because I knew that I won't get a good rest )
    As for european carriers I would take them again in a heartbeat and maybe I'll be a bit more lucky with the crew next time….

Attached Files:

2. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had a quick layover in GVA where we visited the swiss business lounge.It had a nice contemporary feel,quiet and most importantly about 2 minutes from my gate.unfortunately no tarmac views but not much see the in GVA anyway :) IMG_0007.jpg

3. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had a short flight to FRA on LH intra-european biz(aka economy with a blocked out middle seat) and we found ourself at Lufthasas Business Lounge.
    The spread was nicer than both LX lounges and pretty decent amount of booze for a business lounge.
    IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0015.JPG

4. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thai Airways:
    TG921-Airbus A380
    seats:15E,15F
    And there she was:
    IMG_0612.JPG
    Obviously this one was the most anticipated flights of all and it lived up to its expectations.
    I flewThai a while ago so I knew what to expect on the food side.I was more interested in their new cabin and I have to say it was awesome…Center seats in the odd rows are very private,perfect for couples!!
    IMG_0616.JPG IMG_0618.JPG IMG_0620.jpg
    The food was mediocre as expected but i did like the appetizer .
    Smoked tuna and duck liver pate:
    IMG_0639.JPG

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    After dinner,a movie,5hrs sleep and a nice breakfast it was time to land in BKK…
    As a side note for us wifi addicts:OnAir was on but unfortunately it wasn't working.I've heard they have issues with it so hope they fix that soon and we can pay about $100 for 1MB of data lol:)
    We headed to the Royal Silk Lounge what happened to be extremely busy.We asked about shower rooms and luckily that they had two empty so we took them right away.
    I asked about the complimentary massages Thai offers to business/first customers and was directed over to the Royal Orchid Spa what was about 3 minutes walk from the lounge(just across the First Class Lounge).
    IMG_0688.JPG
    All business customers flying Thai can choose either a back/neck or foot massage(30 mins) and have access to the spa facilities too.
    F costumers get an hour full body massage i believe….
    There was a little wait so we were offered to sit and were given some delicious ice teas…

IMG_0682.jpg
    the massage room:
    IMG_0678.jpg

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  6. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    After the Spa we still had over an hour to our flight so we headed back to the lounge (what was across our gate) and found it completely empty.
    I guess previously the whole NRT a380 biz class was in there:)
    IMG_0694.JPG
    My last leg (BKK-DPS) was scheduled on an a330 but was changed last minute to a Boeing 777-200
    IMG_0707.JPG IMG_0709.JPG

I'm actually sitting on 12K of this flight while writing this report….I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.Obviously the seats are nothing to write home about since they are a bit dated but still comfy enough (I'd take it any day for a 4hr flight back in the US though:) but the cabin crew was simply incredible!Professional, attentive but most importantly all of them look like they enjoy what they're doing.
    Oooh and a quick fun fact.After receiving (and leaving behind) both Swiss' and Thai's amenity kits here we got them in Porsche Design cases.I've heard multiple people saying :"yeah I'm taking home that one"-so did I.
    It's time to land pretty soon and will post it once I get to the W Seminyak…Hope you'll like my first report and will continue as my journey goes on…
    Happy travels!

hulagrrl210, infamousdx and edekba like this.
  7. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got back from a trip that included DPS and flew BKK-HKG on TG's A380. My only complaint was the 2 hour flight time (too short!) Looking forward to the rest of your report :)

olmangsr likes this.
  8. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    And we leave for DPS in less than 2 weeks (but who's counting!)....so I also look forward to the rest of your TR!

9. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    where are you staying in dps?

10. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    4 nights at the Four Seasons in J Bay and 4 nights at the Viceroy near Ubud. Actually it was a few suggestions from people here that led me to look into the Viceroy. Can't wait to experience both!

NYBanker likes this.