Dozens of British Airways passengers stranded at Mumbai airport 'told to wait eight days'

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jan 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dozens of British Airways passengers stranded at Mumbai airport 'told to wait eight days'

Flyer1976, Kalboz, iolaire and 3 others like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    There has got to be more to this story.......:confused:

Flyer1976, daninstl, WilliamQ and 2 others like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that's nearly always the case, but what happened / happens there is indeed very unusual. Maybe more news will emerge in due time.

Flyer1976, WilliamQ and anileze like this.
  4. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While there has to be more to the story... what do they expect? BA is just supposed to magically deliver a flight with 38 open seats to accommodate that group? Furthermore, if they're traveling on separate itineraries, which they likely are since AI and BA aren't part of the same alliance and likely don't have the benefit of more tightly integrated res systems, then they missed the BA flight plain and simple. It's *possible* that BA didn't even know they were coming from AI unless someone went out of their way to notify them.

While the situation sucks, I blame the travel agents for the holiday company over anyone else. When you book itineraries like that with multiple airlines that don't have an incentive to cooperate, you ask for hassle. As much as I don't like BA, I have a hard time blaming them... people were late, flights were already full, and finding space to keep a group of 38 together is near impossible at this time of year.

</rant>

5. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are they all joined at the hips? Why can't they be separated into smaller groups of families for their flight home?

Most are already gone,
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-30680440

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    iolaire, uggboy and daninstl like this.
  6. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless it is a connecting flight within a single itinerary, this is a case of travel insurance. Neither Air India nor British Airway would have / could be held "accountable". So question is. Is this a single itinerary?

uggboy likes this.
  7. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having done a couple of those big group trips... I imagine that they initially fought to stay together, and didn't agree to be separated until after they found out they'd have to wait 8 days...

Flyer1976, uggboy and daninstl like this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is this happens from time to time but we don't hear about it because it gets resolved. I also blame the travel agency. It is surprising how disorganized groups can be. My wife and a group of about a dozen people on a church mission trip once missed a flight and got delayed at our home airport because someone forgot some paperwork at home and they left late, etc. etc. Just disorganized. To me it was funny as only person that made the original flight arrived at the airport separately and was AA ex-plat so he managed to get through on priority screening, etc. barely made the flight.

uggboy likes this.
  9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is probably an inexpensive goan holiday with a travel agency selling them a package. Many british "holidaymakers" use charters. This ticketing could have been cobbled together by a travel agency. Did anyone check the loads on BA flights from Mumbai to Heathrow ?

uggboy likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually glad that travel agencies in the UK "cobble" together affordable holidays. It's good when people can afford to travel. :)

kwai and anileze like this.
  11. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    In this case it was a flight back home at the tail end of the group trip. There is no compulsion to stay together at that stage.

webdes03 and anileze like this.
  12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We flew out a day late on a Gate 1 trip to Turkey due to weather in DC. We thought it was handled ok, but a lease comfortable traveler could have been dismayed with the service once we arrived in Turkey. Basically an agent of the local tour company brought us to the bus depot, bought our ticket and told us to wait for the bus. Once we were on the bus it felt better, but we almost missed our stop, luckily my wife figured out that it was the town we were supposed to get out in and we hung around the bus stop until guide picked us up.

Flyer1976, anileze and uggboy like this.
  13. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to be supercilious, but some of the packages that VS had for 7 & 14 day caribbean island were such that, whichever hotel they contracted with, the rest of the hotels in the same or nearby beach took a drop in patronage ! Why ? free booze from breakfast to night, and group mentality made for a mid-life version of Spring-Break beer-keg parties.

uggboy likes this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since they've nearly always sold out of such offerings, there was and maybe still is demand for such tour packages. :):oops::)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  15. Karen_nz

Karen_nz Member

Status Points:
    I hope they liked curry!