Downtown San Jose - under $30

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by clanum, Jun 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Anybody have suggestions in San Jose on a place with good food where a solo diner's bill would likely be under $30? I'm down there quite a bit these days and could use some new recommendations.

2. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint, Clanum! Just wondering- you were referring to San Jose, CA, not Costa Rica, correct?

3. yes, California.

To get things rolling, I'll throw out Teske's Germania on 1st St. Some of the best German food outside of Portland, OR (nothing can top Gustav's/The Rhinelander in my book)

4. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    not from SJ but you can always search for Chinatown, Vietnamese town, any asian area, cheap and good!

5. carwag25

carwag25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I live in downtown SJ, so here are a few of our favorites:
    Habana Cuba - Excellent Cuban food. The pork and beans/rice are my favorite.
    Billy Burks - American fare and food quality is excellent. Drink recommendation: Hard Cream Soda
    Flames - coffee shop/diner with a HUGE menu. the decor is a bit outdated but the omelettes are huge and quite tasty. Bottomless mimosas at Sunday brunch.
    McCormicks steak house - Great steaks... on the pricier side and may not fit your $30 budget.
    Freshly Baked - sandwich shop, bread is freshly made on site and is usually still warm when served. They are only open for lunch from 11-2, but this is a very popular place, so its well worth the lunch trip.

Some good restaurants in San Pedro Square:
    The Old Wagon Saloon & Grill - The buffalo burgers are to die for.
    Peggy Sue's - Good burgers

Hope this helps!

6. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    We like the Los Gatos Brewing Company on Santa Clara St. before (the 2011-12 Stanley Cup Champion) Sharks games for a burger and a beer. There's also a good selection of places in Santana Row, although i haven't been down there in awhile.