Downside to Booking Travel through Chase UR Mall?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Explore, Dec 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    So you get an extra point by booking with Chase. But apparently you can't leverage AAA or government rates in hotel bookings, and I'm wondering what you give up in air bookings. Inability to cancel for a full refund within 24 hours, poor seat selection, lack of tier recognition etc.? Is anyone booking air travel at Chase without any extra cost or problem?

Thanks......

2. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    You also get two bonus points for booking through travelocity (for flights) and 4 bonus points for booking through Hotels.com. If you're going to lose flexibility and elite status, there are still better ways to go. Still, it's a decent way to book flights with points (if you don't want to transfer to award partners) if you need the EQM's, as you get the 1.25 redemption value.

3. bringer
    Original Member

bringer Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you use the portal through hotels.com, do you still get hotel loyality points through the hotel?...if so I wasn't aware of this.

4. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, you don't. But you wouldn't using Ultimate Rewards, either. At least with Hotels.com or Expedia.com click-throughs on UR you'll get Hotels.com rewards (10 stays = 1 free) or Expedia.com rewards.

5. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just booked a Marriott stay through Travelocity via the UR portal and used my Marriott Premier Visa.

To keep it simple, lets say total charged was $1k. What will my point capture look like?

I know I'll get the 2x UR.
    Marriott Premier Visa: 5x?
    Points for stay: 1250 (MR Gold)

Thanks

6. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't tried it... but if you happen to have an ink bold/plus you could go to Staples and purchase Marriott gift cards (earning 5x)... then go through the portal to make your reservation. You should get the same number of bonus points but have the flexibility of Ultimate Rewards.

rockyrock and TravelBear like this.
  7. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply.

I actually ended up canceling the reservation and rebooking it thorught Marriott directly via the UR Mall portal using my Marriott Visa. Total cost was ~$2650

End result:
    MRP Visa: 5x =13250 (MR)
    UR: 2x =5300
    MR Gold: 1.5x = 3975 (MR)

I valued the MR points at 5x slightly more than the UR points at 2x so I used my Marriot Premier vice CSP. Booking directly was actually $100 cheaper too, which is weird because I thought TO didn't have a fee...