Doug Parker makes his case at National Press Club today 18 July 2012

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jbcarioca, Jul 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still not convinced I want to lose AA culture to the leadership of Doug Parker and US.

I've been very happy with my AA experiences...I have a hard time buying some would not lose their jobs or things would really get better. Also, doesn't the MIA hub provide some east coast presence??

jbcarioca and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The more Dougie talks about this, the more unseemly it seems. It may make financial sense, it may make some sense from an airline perspective, I don't think it would be the end of the world if it happened, but the more he goes on like this, the less I like the idea and the less I like him. I don't like the air of inevitability he's exuding, and it may just be me, but I'm seeing an air of superiority towards AA that turns me off. I REALLY hope this doesn't happen, and if it does, I hope AA management are in charge when the dust settles.

And I think AA's unions are just out to get AA management, and that's the only reason they're supporting this.

4. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    The tone was definitely surprising.

He basically calls AA management too incompetent to successfully make it out of bankruptcy and borderline stupid if they don't agree to merge.

Interesting to see the unions align with US so quickly.

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  5. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    US does not have ANY labor issues, right??
    :confused:

6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is what makes the AMR unions cooperation with US seem a trifle disingenuous. It seems unlikely that things will remain so smooth once Parker is in charge. After all the AMR union people know Parker from when he was at AMR himself and after. Parker is nothing if not relentless, taking a run at any airline that seems possible, and he's certainly articulate and entertaining. Thus, this may be just theatre in the end, but it is interesting theatre.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    WSJ reporting that Mr. Parker and Mr. Horton meet this morning over breakfast: LINK.

Of course, being the WSJ, your best bet is to actually Google the article title and access the full article there. The title is "AMR, US Airways CEOs Meet."

The chief executives of American Airlines parent AMR Corp. and US Airways Group Inc. met early Thursday morning and discussed issues surrounding a potential merger of the two companies, said people familiar with the meeting.

Over oatmeal at a downtown Washington, D.C., hotel around 6:15 a.m., AMR CEO Tom Horton told his US Airways counterpart, Doug Parker, to expect AMR not to rush into any deals as the larger airline charts a path out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, one of the people said.

Mr. Horton said during the meeting that AMR will explore a range of transactions, including a merger with another airline and a deal involving multiple partners, the person said. The various options would be measured against AMR's standalone plan to emerge from bankruptcy proceedings as an independent airline, the person said.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The interesting part of this one is that Horton mentions only US airlines, although some IAG, Asian and US investors just might have a play here too. It's not as though such options have been absent from recent OW deliberations. One wonders how Latam might fit in were there to be a OW coordinated effort. They certainly all planned together during the JAL affair.