Doubletree The Wit Chicago

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by MilePointInformed, May 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Of my approx 200 nights in a hotel last year the Wit remains one of my favorite hotels in the world
    No it’s not the most luxurious or the absolute best experience imaginable. However it is about an exceptional experience in where a dated Hilton brand finally gets some cool factor! Shaking off much of its once stodgy image.
    Who would have thought?

What can be said about the Wit that hasn’t already passionately be said by others?
    It is part W meets Andaz perhaps somewhere in the middle. It’s a Doubletree brand but probably more an experiment at this point with the brand name as it’s too special/upscale of a property to really be considered a Doubletree. The Wit is more than just an exceptional unique boutique hotel that will certainly not appeal to all guests. It is so popular it can get crowded especially on weekends and the roof top night club gets going. Yet for many of us that’s part of the excitement being where everybody wants to be. Perhaps for some folks pure torture.
    But that’s the whole point the Wit isn’t for everybody nor should it try to be!

However what most guests might not realize is the Wit is the future of all hotels going forward.It’s a game changer of what’s now and what may be next. The prototype of what hotels want to be when they grow up for the next generation. It’s the start of great out of the box thinking that may have no boundaries.

The Wit has to its credit

• Enormously comfortable beds pillow top style)subjective
    • LED Lighting on dimmers for task lighting & various function and creating a romantic ambiance for those so inclined
    • Many heartfelt inspired team members
    • Wonderful playful welcome amenities in room that appeal playfully even to jaded guests
    • Incredible in house made chocolates that compare with some of the best in France
    • Inspired Management under the leadership of Mark Shouger
    • High caliber Door men (one in particular who remembered my name months later on my second short stay of 4 nights(folks you could be comfortable having a beer with)
    They are incredibly professional personable bunch.At most hotels I am not a doorman fan typically.On a rainy day checking me into my suite I was offered a huge Wit umbrella for use during my stay it was very much appreciated!
    • Home to "The Roof" Night Club one of the top hot spots in Chicago (try Monday nights for a less frenetic experience that’s truly civilized with a date or go on the weekend when its jam packed!
    • A place where attractive young folks go to stay and older folks go to feel young and cool
    • The legendary Doubletree cookie (I admit to being a fan of this brilliant delish cookie)
    • Participation in the Hilton HHonors program for elite recognition and point redemption
    • Kitchen Aid refrigerators in the Jr suites
    • Fun whimsical décor
    • Architect standard fixtures throughout guest rooms and suites not typically found
    • A hotel meets contemporary residential feel/
    •Great location walk to some amazing shops and restaurants with a short stroll

The Hotel understands the concerns that some may have with the train proximity(self included) the in house team members (front office included)have always done everything possible to accommodate away from the train based on availability.
    Light sleepers can be affected when assigned those rooms closest to the tracks.Over the years I have learned as a premium traveler that lifestyle hotels will tend to have quirks. The Wit is no exception.What some see as different and breaking tradition or quirky others see as exciting.In a nut shell just like with W Hotels and Andaz not everyone will capture the magic here and instead choose to pick on the areas of needed improvement of which there is a 10 to 15 per cent factor.
    Having said that the positive way overshadows the negative and the 90% satisfaction scores easily demonstrates the properties percentage of highly satisfied customers.In house most of the team in house goes further with numerous random acts of kindness.
    The GM personally responds to guest comments good or bad on select public forums and that clearly impressed me to want to switch from the Conrad where I normally stay.
    It was the GM responding to those reviews and how he responded that brought me to the hotel as a customer. I applaud this hotels dedication to listening and responding to their customers praise as well as their concerns.

The Hilton folks couldn’t have picked a more fantastic visionary manager for a great new hotel concept. It was one of those rare moments in all my years of travel where I picked up the phone after check out and thanked them for letting me be a guest in their hotel. I left inspired refreshed in good spirits wanting to come back again in the future even though I have a number of other luxury favorites in the Chicago area
    In closing the Wit was a game changer for me personally and it made me want to reconsider staying more with Hilton again. If this is what we can expect from Hilton and the brand I def want to be their customer.I wish Andaz would clone these fantastic beds in their otherwise excellent properties

I can only hope there are many more of these properties to look forward to in other cities and rumors are there will be. It’s no longer the Doubletree your mom and dad stayed in its Doubletree gets totally/really cool!!!
    Love it or hate it don’t miss the experience if you are a fan of cool and modern!~
    The Wit well done/pretty cool!
    TRAVELSIG likes this.
  2. baliparis
    Original Member

baliparis Silver Member

I really like theWit too. The Roof bar is fabulous and the food offerings are great too.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

On a recent Sunday night, Mrs Sweet Willie & I were at the Goodman Theatre watching a performance of the play "Stage Kiss" which was not entertaining, so we left a 'halftime'. It was a beautiful, warm, spring night so we went up to The Roof to have drinks & watch the finish of the Bulls/Heat game. The drinks & food were quite good, we had a great time.

Crowd was a bit too young for our tastes (you know, the youngsters that yell 'woooo' anytime anyone says anything & the kind that like sparklers in their bottle of vodka) so I won't make this a regular destination, but as said, we did have a good time.