DoubleTree Surfcomber Hotel Miami South Beach FL USA

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by TRAVELSIG, Feb 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overview:
    Surfcomber is an older property which has been restored/rebranded as DoubleTree a few years ago. The building originally opened as an "Art Deco" hotel in 1948, and has 200 feet of beach directly on South Beach. For orientation, it is two doors down from the Delano and Ritz-Carlton South Beach, and a 5 minute walk "before" the W if you are heading from Lincoln Avenue for example.

The hotel has a nice pool, its own area on the beach, a restaurant with Carribean/Latin American food, and bars by the pool (open only in the day) and the lobby (open only in the night).

Rooms:
    I had heard that rooms were "small" at this hotel- however based on other similar properties on South Beach I would say they are about the same. The bathroom, however, is quite small although very clean and in good maintenance. The bed is comfortable, and the new Phillips flatscreen has good picture quality. A good desk for working and chair is in the room (it drives me crazy when hotels don't have good chairs for working in the room- so this is a plus)- and at least the room I stayed in has a good view of the pool, the beach, and the ocean. One point is that there is no inroom safe. Rooms do have nice robes which are quite comfortable, and the air system works well (if a little bit noisy). Toiletries are Neutrogena- so if you don't like this brand do bring your own.

Service:
    Checkin was great- greeted by a bellman who helped me with my bags, HHonors checkin, they recognized elite status and upgraded (which is surprising as the hotel is 100% occupancy), gave me a cookie, a coupon for free continental breakfast, and advised me on how free wireless works for Gold/Diamond members. Extremely effecient- 1 minute from "Hello" to heading towards elevator- Fantastic.

Other:
    I have never stayed here before- I would definitely come back- given that nearby hotels are all well over $400 USD per night and some hitting 4 figures per night (it is the Miami Boat Show this week-all hotels 100% occupancy)- the DoubleTree was great value at $269 when compared to the W at $599, the Ritz-Carlton at $499, and the Courtyard by Marriott at $369.

Good Staff-Good Location- simple property (what is expected for a Double Tree).

Let me know if you have any questions.

sunseeker likes this.