Doubletree property in Cambridge UK

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Sweet Willie, Feb 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed when the students were on their spring break, which actually was a nice time to visit as Cambridge overall wasn't very crowded.

This is the former Cambridge Garden House Moat House Hotel property, so it is not your usual cookie cutter Hilton/Doubletree brand hotel format.

The hotel is on the River Cam at the end of a dead end street. A nice property, very quiet. Sometimes the nearby pub The Mill would have some loud patrons but seeing as The Mill closes at 11pm, the loud ones were not around late.

It is a four story hotel, rooms only on floors 1,2,3 (2nd, 3rd, 4th floors for US folks). The ground floor is reserved for meeting rooms, the restaurant and a very large bar area. We took advantage of the large bar area to either be by ourselves or engage with other guests. Service is as late as one wants, no closing time. Most rooms face the River Cam. Rooms 101, 201, 301 are the closest to the river, they are probably 14-16 meters from the river, the other end of the hotel is probably 25 meters from the river. River facing rooms on floors 1 & 2 have small balconies with two nice sized wooden chairs and a small wooden table. Rooms on floors 3 do not have this balcony. There is a penthouse so goodluck for you upgrade hungry folks.

The property is a few blocks walk to King’s Chapel and other sights of Cambridge, so no need for your car. Parking was £17.50 per day with in/out privileges.

The breakfast buffet which was £14.45 per person (free for Golds/Diamonds). The buffet is a great spread, lots of different breakfast proteins (two types of sausages as well as lox & some cold cuts), delicious scrambled eggs (my guess was they used a touch of cream), sautéed mushrooms to die for, lots of breads, crisp/flaky pastries, cereal, cheeses, yogurt, juices, coffee/tea as well as some typical English breakfast items such as tomatoes & black pudding.

It was chilly & rainy when we were there but when it gets a touch warmer out; the property has a nice outdoor patio overlooking the River Cam with 5 tables as well as propane heaters. Another idea for when it gets nicer out, there is a punt rental station (one of many along the Cam) just to the right of the hotel. If you are curious about what a punt is, see: www.punting-in-cambridge.co.uk I am not advocating this company as I’d probably punt my family around on my own but if you want someone else to do it, you can. Plus the bridge pictured is Clare Bridge, the oldest in Cambridge dating from the 1600’s. Plus beware, if you do hire a person to punt you, you may be filled with some tall tales: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...bridge_legends

The beds are very comfortable, with many different pillows to choose from. Each day we were provided with 4 bottles of Strathmore bottled water, 2 still & 2 sparkling. TV is approx a ~28” flat panel with a good selection of stations.

There was an issue that was a pain, we never saw a concierge (even though there is a special concierge entrance to the hotel) and the front desk staff was not knowledgeable in the least with two being particularly clueless.

The property is also within easy walking distance of a number of restaurants.

Gargoyle likes this.