Doubletree Johor Bahru

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by RCTP, Jan 8, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to legoland Malaysia and instead of staying at their theme park hotel, have considered the doubletree Johor Bahru.

Wondering if it will be a hassle to drive to and fro?

And any feedback on doubletree jb?

uggboy likes this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    It depends on how comfortable you are driving in Malaysia. It's not much farther away. If you do decide to drive be sure to tour the Tiger Brewery and Singapore zoo, and botanical gardens.

uggboy likes this.
  3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys, I'm currently residing in SIN, so I know my way around the attractions locally.

This is gonna be my first time venturing up north though. hopefully i dont run into highway robbers,

Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that there are currently some roadworks digging on the main road.
    If you are driving, should not be an issue.
    Just follow signs.
    But walking from the mall to the hotel is a little more dangerous than usual as you will need to walk on the road itself.

upload_2016-1-11_15-21-27.png

Attached Files:

Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  6. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    The JB DT is one of the best-value properties in the global Hilton chain... it has an EL and you can book it for 5k HH points a night, less when there are promos... great buffet, and then when you need liquor you can venture on Jalan TAR.

Just watch the SIN liquor tax on anything you buy here and try to import.... I forgot that Changi-arriving gwailoh receive a more generous liquor allowance than those who use land crossings like Woodlands. This allowance is ZERO when crossing into SIN by land..... this was politely but firmly enforced on me last spring when I had one can of high ABV Dutch lager from Jal TAR... no cash, only CC in the machine, zero tolerance.

This, let me tell you, is major en su clase without the ironic JeffRobbo stars. Check out the CPI from transparency.org

http://www.transparency.org/cpi2015

SIN @ #8, ahead of GBR, AUS, CAN, GER and USA. Huge thumbs up! The SIN customs were polite but firm and reminded me they did me a favor by not fining me in addition to collecting the duty on the one can. FTR, I agree absolutely with them.

And... if you can't drive a rental in/out of JB you really have no balls....try MEX or LIM and then tell me how it compares. Muahahaha!

7. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    SIN used to be my home... before there was a Merlion....

8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    This property is no longer Cat 1 but Cat 2. Bookings are 10,000 points per night. The cash rates have also edged up over the last 12 months and could be due to their weakened RM (strengthened USD). Then again, they could be just pricing what they think their value is as they are certainly one of the better properties in the immediate region. Still a good bargain. Just not a crazy bargain.

9. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Took a drive in yesterday so I had nothing to do. Entered through tuas and therefore kinda avoided the customs jam at woodlands.

And yeah the streets are currently undergoing drainage construction resulting in it being messy. Actually saw a cab crashed into the hoarding and almost ended up in the excavated trench that seemed to be about 3 to 4m deep.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  10. cuauroao

cuauroao Silver Member

Status Points:
    I found easier to book a taxi in SIN for SGD~60 that will drive you to the doubletree with no problem. The border could be jammed on weekends.

You don't want to drive like that