DoubleTree Austin - University Area (Austin, TX) reviews

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by DAS02135, Dec 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DAS02135
    Original Member

DAS02135 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here on January 2nd, 2011 as a Gold member. At the time, the hotel had very low occupancy, to the extent that I had one of only three occupied rooms on my floor. Because of the low occupancy, I don’t know if my stay is representative of what to expect. My room rate was around $85.

Here’s what left a favorable impression:
    • Helpful staff: The lobby shop was out of Diet Coke. When I mentioned this, one of the desk clerks offered to see if they had any in the employee lounge. A few minutes later, he came back with one and charged me the 50 cents employees pay. I appreciated the extra effort.
    • Provided both On-Property Benefits: My On-Property Benefit was set to extra points, and they gave me two vouchers for free breakfast anyway.
    • Rooms were fairly up-to-date: They had modern furniture and appointments, and did not look too worn.

Here are the drawbacks, in my view:
    • Meager breakfast choices: Because of the low occupancy, they did not have the breakfast buffet. Instead, they had a limited cooked to order selection. I believe this was an atypical event for them and did not represent the norm.
    • The hotel is on a highway with nothing being walkable around it. So, if you want to get off property for a meal, you will need a car.

I stayed here because I was getting in a day earlier for a meeting and just selected the least expensive Hilton property I could find. For that purpose, the hotel was fine. However, with nothing around it (and with everything being walkable around the downtown hotels), I doubt I’d stay here again.

uggboy likes this.