Double Your HHonors promotion and earn Double Points or Double Miles on your next trip when you stay

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by WilliamQ, Apr 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton's latest promotion (May 1st - July 31st)

Choose carefully because your selection cannot be changed.
    Pick Double Points or Double Miles, and that’s what you’ll earn during the Double Your HHonors offer.

https://hiltonhhonors.com/HH2_2014?lang=US
    Hiltons

uggboy, NYCUA1K and blackjack-21 like this.
  2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, WilliamQ, an easy signup and as usual I checked the non-participating properties list to see the changes. Without actually counting and comparing to prior lists, it seems to me that there are now more properties then before that have chosen to not offer the new bonuses. So I'd second the reminder to check the list of opt outs so as not to be disappointed after the fact on a future stay.

Also surprised that it actually starts at the beginning of the month instead of a week into the period as HHonors has done in the past, but it's obviously better with a May 1 start. Perhaps they weren't getting enough people to get the double points by paying extra for them during the current promotion so Hilton decided to offer the new options in the current one.

Some confusion on my part at first when I read after signing up for double POINTS, as the next page said to be sure to change your MyWay preferences to points and points for faster accumulations, as I thought that by doing so that they wouldn't give the usual amount of airline miles if I stayed at points and miles for my MyWAY preference, but reading the FAQ's cleared that up when I saw the following:

"Do I have to change my MyWay™ Earnings Style Option in my HHonors account in order to receive Double Points for this promotion? No. However, to maximize the number of points you can earn during the promotion, selecting HHonors Points & Points would be best."

So it seems that you don't have to change your earnings style to get both the double points (if you've chosen that option) and still get the regular airline miles if you had chosen miles and points as your oringinal MyWay option.

Edit: In the email from Hilton that I got for registering for this promo, they suggested too that you can also (+) opt to pay for a double your points bonus when reserving a room from their website in addition to registering for this bonus. So addtional opportunity to increase your points even more should you also wish to pay for it when booking.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    uggboy and WilliamQ like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting because this is a great promo for my pattern of stay of at least 4-night stays, which result in fairly large folios.
    How good? Assume B is the number of base points (i.e., eligible spend *10). Then for a Diamond like me with the double dip earning option set to points+points, who selects double bonus points for the promo, and pays for the stays with the Citi reserve visa or the AMEX Surpass, the total earning will be:

B + B (from promo) + 0.5B (from points+points) + 0.5B (from 50% Diamond Bonus) + B (from paying with the Citi Reserve @10/$) = 4B [or 4.2B for paying with the AMEX Surpass]

Yup, one will get 4 or 4.2 times the number of base points. This means that for a folio-eligible spend of $1K, equivalent to 10K base points, one will rake in 40K or 42K HHonors points.

Better yet if you stay at an Embassy Suites by May 31 and pay the folio with the Citi Reserve visa because that would earn you 15 points/$ or 1.5B, for a total haul of 4.5B.

I have three extended revenue stays during the promo period at Hilton Milan, Embassy Suites Montreal and Conrad Hong Kong, each of which will cost well above $1K. So, I am looking at a huge haul for Q2! This is a 'devaluation' buster...

WilliamQ likes this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. This is a good promo based on your upcoming stay pattern and I think all 3 properties you mentioned did not opt out but you should triple check.
    Do not forget that your Conrad stay is entitled to two other promotions as well (valid for whole of 2014).
    You are indeed on the roll!
    1) https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/processlanding/processlanding/?lp=luxury2kbonuspoints&WT.mc_id=zCEC0AA1WW2OLF3BRAH4LuxIIkPts5LRM&wt.mc_id=CMEM_BS4YLXB83s5Rvo
    2) https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/processlanding/processlanding/?lp=luxuryescalatingbonuspoints&WT.mc_id=zCEC0AA1WW2OLF3BRAH4LuxEscalatingPts5LRM&wt.mc_id=CMEM_BS4YLXB83s5Rvo

NYCUA1K likes this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did not mention it in the prior post but I did check to ensure that the three properties had not opted out before declaring victory...
    I am aware of the two other offers, which were targeted and I was targeted and already signed up for both. However, I believe that this fine print will get me:

WilliamQ likes this.
  7. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:

Well, the only way to find out for sure is to stay and hope that the promos stacks up.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are the details of the 3 offers, each of which cannot be combined with other selective offers. Therefore, I do not believe that they will stack up.

Offer 1: Stay at Conrad or WA by Dec 31, 2014, and receive
    1st stay = 2,000 bonus points
    2nd stay = 3,000 bonus points
    3rd stay = 5,000 bonus points​

Offer 2: Stay at Conrad or WA by Dec 31, 2014, and receive 2,000 bonus points per night

Offer 3: Receive double bonus points per stay at any participating HHonors property between May 1 and July 31, 2014.

Now, I have booked a stay during the promo period at Conrad HKG. The stay will be eligible to earn points for each of the three offers, but according to the T&C each offer cannot be combined with other select offers, which means that I would earn points only for one of the 3 offers. The question is which one? If what I surmise is correct and HHonors is both smart and fair, then the offer that earns the most points/per stay should take precedence over the other two. I will report the actual outcome...

I will still pray for the highly unlikely and way too cool scenario that the offers will stack up, however...;)

9. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Signed up. Thanks for the notice.

WilliamQ and uggboy like this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are most welcome! :D

11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Below was a stay I had with Conrad earlier this year and I had 3 promotions stacked.

This includes the two Conrad / WA promotions mentioned above.

Go stay and be happy. ;)

upload_2014-4-23_7-10-57.png

Attached Files:

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    @NYCUA1K. Oh.. It could be glitch but I think there were other success stories online.
    Still, YMMV.

13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Assuming you're right and the offers are additive, here's what I should get from my stay at Conrad HKG, not counting incidentals and taxes (the latter earn points on all HHonors co-branded cards):

Stay duration: 7 nights,
    Total Cost: $2,618

Offer 1 = 2,000 points
    Offer 2 = 2000 points/night x 7 nights = 14,000 points
    Offer 3 = 4B = 4 x 2618 x 10 = 104,720

Total = Offer 1 + Offer 2 + Offer 3 = 2,000 + 14,000 + 104,720 = 120,720 points

I will earn at least 104,700 if the offers are not additive through only Offer 3, which ain't too shabby, or I will rake in 120,720 if the offers are additive.

We'll see...

WilliamQ likes this.
  14. dotgirl

dotgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm super new to the hotel points game, but I travel a lot (for work and pleasure) so I've finally signed up for HHonors in anticipation of an upcoming weekend in Alaska. This thread was super helpful and allowed me to quadruple my HHonor rewards. Thanks to all of you!

WilliamQ and NYCUA1K like this.
  15. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've recently stayed at Conrad Hong Kong and Conrad Macao.

Got all promotions stacked up. Really good deal.

dotgirl, NYCUA1K and WilliamQ like this.
  16. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Outstanding!

Thomask likes this.
  17. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks, now I'm tempted for a stay at Conrad SIN too, especially as there's a 25% off for Advance Purchase rates running now i believe

WilliamQ likes this.
  18. purdue07

purdue07 Member

Status Points:
    Just finished a stay at the WA Boca - got a deal on the room rate - and just checked - all promo's posted earned over 19k for a 2 night stay.....

WilliamQ likes this.
  19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The points for my 6-night stay last week at Hilton Milan just posted: 81,184.
    Still to post are the points for paying with the Citi Reserve: 29,275.
    Anticipated total for the one stay after the CC points post: 110,459.

Devaluation? What devaluation?:)

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    WilliamQ likes this.
  20. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very nice.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  21. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The verdict is in and it confirms what others had stated: the three HHonors offers above do stack up and, as a result, I just raked in big with an 8-night stay at Conrad Kong Kong. The icing on the cake is that I was upgraded to a suite without my having to ask! Here's the tally. The red letters on the left correspond to the offers above:

CONRAD HKG.jpg

Also, I did pay the folio, which came to ~$4K with taxes, with my Citi Reserve, meaning that about 40,000 points will be added to the above to bring the total haul to ~167K HHonors points. In addition, I earned enough base points with this stay to requalify for the 2015 HHonors Diamond with just 7 stays/35nights!

2015 HD.jpg

I can now start to add some points to my Marriott Rewards and Hyatt GP accounts for maximum flexibility in redeeming this winter on my Year-end Asian Escapade (tm)...

WilliamQ likes this.
  22. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    @NYCUA1K
    Hilton's HVC. This is quite an expensive stay. Glad you got a ton of HHonors points for it.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    No doubt that it was an expensive stay of long duration at one of the top hotels in a relatively expensive city. It is without any doubt one of my most expensive stays ever. However, the monetary value of it, when one figures in the suite upgrade to a very high floor, was quite high. This, in fact, illustrates why I was not too bothered by the purported "devaluation" of HHonors points. My travel pattern and circumstances allow me to earn lots of points very quickly and "painlessly" because they are business trips for which I get reimbursed. This also reemphasizes the point that the mile/point game is tailor-made for folks who fly and stay at hotels a lot as part of their business. What the airlines' new revenue-based system would do is to greatly devalue the miles that such folks earn, which is why I have been adamant at denouncing it. When folks who fly far and often are no longer considered HVCs -- which I will no longer be under the r-b.s. -- there is definitely something wrong...

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  24. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    HH is a rev based program that seems to work well for you and many others.

If UA and DL awarded miles in a HH esq fashion of 10-15 PTS per dollar spent plus an extra 1000 bonus for top tier elites, a better CC affinity bonus closer to citi reserve level, and occasional seasonal promos ala HHonors would you be ok with the change to revenue based or is it really about distance traveled as a concept?

I'm not trying to stir anything up. Just curious since you have analyzed it all so much.

25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good question. Hotels devalued their points recently in large part because too many points were being earned through ways you mentioned but the resulting "devaluation" was proportionate (a simple course correction for "inflation").

For the FF programs, it is about distance traveled because that is how the game was set up. Bonuses similar to those offered by hotels (elite bonus, class of service bonus, promos) are already in place, but most are in terms of distance traveled. If DL and UA (in that order since UA only copies what DL does) now want to change the game and/or its rules, they need to adjust both the earning and spending sides of the equation in order to be like the frequent-guest programs, which were created as revenue-based from the beginning. This means DL and UA also need to readjust the redemption rates so that one could still afford to travel almost as far and in about the same relative "luxury" as under the legacy FF system. The HHonors "devaluation" made only 1-3% of 3,900 properties unaffordable. With the number of miles earned to a place like SIN under the r-b.s. decreasing by some 210% (W fare) and the redemption rates remaining virtually the same (at least so far), the hit on the FF loyalists' ability to redeem free air trips would be too great for the FF game to still have any meaning...It would be time to hang it up.

The short answer is that for the comparison with the legacy hotel revenue-based system to be valid, the airlines would need to completely remake the rules, not only for how the miles are earned but also for how they are used to redeem both with a single carrier and across an alliance, so that things remain somewhat proportionate and part of this world...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    ballardFlyer likes this.