Double Upgrade Now Possible? (via bug?)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Nov 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was waitlisted for Economy->BF upgrade with miles+co-pay. At checkin, Android app told me there were 3 BF seats available and I could have one for $679. That seemed like a "good" deal compared to $500+30,000 miles (Asia->US) I had waitlisted, so I grabbed it. Same deal for my wife (separate PNR).

I looked at the waitlists for the flight and noticed that two people with our name patterns were now appearing on the Global First waitlist.

When I actually got to the checkin counter to get the boarding pass the next day, the friendly agent typed in my info, smiled and told me that we were #2 and #3 on the wait list. I asked "waitlist for what" and she confirmed "for First Class". She must have thought I was the stupidest passenger ever, especially when I then proceeded to tell her that I don't actually want to be on that waitlist.

But I wonder... if I had said nothing, would we have ended up in Global First with a double upgrade? It seemed from the waitlist that we'd have been in a position to clear, but I certainly didn't feel like paying $1,000+60,000 miles to run that experiment.

And now to get the ($500+30k miles) * 2 back that United pulled a month ago when I requested the original upgrade...

2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its not clear to me that this is necessarily a bug. If you bought up to a cheap, eligible revenue BF ticket, then it would be well within the rules to then upgrade to GF. Do you know the fare code your upgrade booked into?

Edit: and, if you were upgrading with miles+money, I would think any revenue bucket would be eligible for an upgrade.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think the fare class is ZN.

Looking at the TOD thread on Flyertalk, it seems that people are in fact offered upgrades from Economy straight to Global First, so the two-class jump might actually be something that United is selling.

Still don't think the automatic "conversion" of a Y->BF request into a BF->GF request is desirable.

Also don't understand why UA would rather get $679 instead of $500 + 30,000 miles... but whatever ;)

downhillcrasher likes this.
  4. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, ZN doesn't really say much. Did you earn miles for a BF fare or in line with your purchased Y fare (assuming it wasn't B or Y) ?

Agreed. If this isn't a bug, then that is a very annoying feature of their system.

5. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    That one is somewhere between a feature and a bug... looks like you remain on the upgrade list after you upfare, thus the double upgrade. While it might be sneaky way to get a double upgrade, it's also potentially undesirable. If your second upgrade clears and BF is full, wouldn't you be forced to fork the additional $$$ and miles? Double upgrades are cool, but not worth $1k + miles imho.

unavaca and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I definitely did not want the double upgrade. I wasn't even sure I wanted to pay for the BF upgrade (but it turned out to be an excellent choice based on a few factors). Fortunately, the agent at the checkin counter was attentive and volunteered the waitlist position, so even if I hadn't obsessively monitored the lists in the mobile app I would at that point have noticed that something was wrong. But I could easily see this play out as you describe... and good luck getting it reversed then.