Double MQM and EQP (Targeted)

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by funtrainsf, Jan 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just received this from AA via email; appears targeted. Time to go flying!:

To thank you for being our loyal customer, we have an exclusive offer designed with you in mind. Earn double elite‑qualifying miles and points when you travel on American Airlines, American Eagle® or American Connection® and oneworld® airline flights on British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines and Qantas Airways between January 22 and February 22, 2013.

We've pre‑registered you for this offer, so all you need to do is start flying to reap the rewards.

Enjoy! We look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.

2. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lucky dog! Anyone else getting this??

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice!

I'm a lowly Plat, so here's hoping AA decides to be generous :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. David Geving

David Geving Active Member

Status Points:
    I received the same email. Nice.

5. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't seen it yet, but I'll certainly be watching for it :)

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Limited distribution, it's not going out to everyone.

7. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am the unlucky few that never get this type of offer always BIS for me.

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    No joy here. That other forum suggests it's tweaked even further; some get 2 SWU's, some don't, some get RDM's only, etc.

It's targeted within the EXP tier so it's hard to even speculate about what business aspect drove this and what they hope to change with it.

9. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    And how exactly the low tier Elites are supposed to be enticed by these news to try to achieve a higher status on AA?

10. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, how I wish they would just give me this offer.... I would at least try to generate extra business for AA.

foxberg likes this.
  11. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could try to book some flight just because of the offer to get to PLT. I emailed AA CS my disgust with the lack of the promo email. 99% in vain, I'm sure. :(

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're disgusted that they made a business decision that didn't involve you?

I didn't get it either, but that just means I wasn't part of the demographic they're targeting.

That's how promos work - inducing a certain demographic to more sales. You and I weren't a part of what they felt they needed to spend money to induce. It's certainly not personal - and not worth being "disgusted" over.

13. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I just don't the feeling of being excluded :confused:

Eloy Fonseca Neto likes this.
  14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We all are at some point in the world of miles, points, and status. AA (and every other airline for that matter) targets promos and sales to motivate specific groups of flyers to fly more. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. No need to get disgusted. Just wait for the next one you do qualify for. :)

I'm sure you'll be sending AA an equally strongly worded letter on behalf of the individuals who don't qualify under that promo before you start scheming of ways to maximize your eligibility, right? ;) :D

garyst16 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  15. globalexplorer

globalexplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    no email here. too bad...would have given AA some business in feb. not sure how people are targeted. data point-150639 EQP last yr.

16. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not the greatest marketer out there, but I fail to understand why an airline would be more soliciting of dollars from one demographic group than whoever wanted to buy a seat? However, as you say, everybody does it, so they must think it works. OTOH, none of them are shining success stories in the world of commerce...Maybe they are all being advised by the same consulting companies? :)

17. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That assumes all customers are equal, which of course they are not. I have no illusions that as a low budget EXP I am not nearly as profitable (or perhaps am not profitable at all) as those who regularly purchase higher fare classes. So of course AA will occasionally target those highly profitable customers with a promo, for example. And AA still occasionally offers something to those like me (or any other demographic). We all get something. Just not the same "something". :)

As for the "shining success" comment, it's all well and good if you're looking at a select few airlines. But you could just as well expand the thought and say just about all companies engage in targeted marketing/promos. It's a reality of the market we operate in, and companies certainly see value in it.

Or it could just be that they're all run by the Illuminati. :)

Aktchi and Wandering Aramean like this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because revenue by any means isn't actually the goal. Changing the behavior of a select group of customers is.

Welcome to the real world.

I actually had some fun with this one and their Twitter team. It is obvious that they have HootSuite set up to auto-reply to certain types of mentions of their Twitter handle and that the system they are using for that needs some tweaking. :oops:

Aktchi likes this.
  19. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is talk on FT that customer service agents are saying it was for "severe inconveniences" last year when the pilots were messing with flights.

Most of my qualifying miles last year were due to work and mandatory personal trips. I spent $700 on MR's for a total of 22K+ in EQM. I ended the year with 116 EQM so I didn't really need so much in MR (but I didn't know that during the beginning of year DEQM).

Since I fly so much for work, I had a few flight cancellations during the pilot mess, and a slew of nasty delays. After each flight cancellation, I did get a call from customer service apologizing for the events and thanking me for my business (note> I was only PLT last year until November when I qualified for EXP). I didn't complain or anything after those flights but it screwed me for work.

If their motivation is giving me something in return for those cancellations (more than a "sorry" phone call) then I think it's a nice move. I don't know if we will know for sure what their reasons is with this targeted promo, but I hope that everyone who got screwed got the promo too (maybe if you got screwed more flights than I did you got the SWU's).

Sounds like most people did not get this promo, which is unfortunate, but their may be a legit reason for this.

20. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I take everything CS reps say regarding things outside of their normal sphere of influence with a grain of salt.

I also doubt that the delays were the motivator. I know several EXPs who had serious delays who were not invited, and one person who did not travel during the pilot issues who did.

The one thing I do agree with you on, is that we are unlikely to ever know the motivation behind this, or most, AA promos. :)

21. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    There you go then. You were able to shoot down the disruption reason. Back to square one with everyone trying to figure this out.

22. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was the reason for the promo we got in the late fall. This appears more targeted so it would be interesting to more clearly define the nature of the targeting, such as:

• Any status matched ExecPlats or were they ExecPlats for a number of years
    • fly more international than domestic or vice versa
    • stopped flying for a period of time in the last half of the year
    • ExecPlats who exceeded 100K by a considerable amount
    • ExcePlats who just scraped by on their requalification
    • live in certain cities, AA hub or non-hub

It would be nice to have received this one since I have a couple of long-haul flights (Canada-Hawaii and Canada-PVG) on AA during this period, but then I was status matched last year and figure I got a pretty good deal then, and have received enough from AA to keep me happy and flying them without further inducement.

funtrainsf likes this.
  23. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally forgot that the late fall promo was for disruptions.. doh! I think, mainly on FT, people will continue to post in the thread every reason they can (i.e. maybe it's due to last name initial..etc). At the end of the day, it's a target promotion by AA which I got lucky. I haven't had any luck before in any "target" promotion that I can remember whether AA or some CC. This one is very beneficial to me since my MQM to-date are <1,000. Won't be for long thought :)

24. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering how little some of us spend the smartest business decision might be to convince some of us to fly *A ;)

25. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    Man there seems to be an amazing sense of "entitlement" on FT on this targeted offer. Everyone who didn't get it, on FT, seems really pissed. Is it me, or should some people chill a bit. It almost feels like many people think AA "owe's" them DEQM's and such. Huh?

I love the "I've been EXP for 12 years now...... can't believe they wouldn't send it to me." Well, you seem to be doing just fine getting EXP and upgrades/SWU/etc. It ain't the end of the world.