Double miles on tax payments?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by SnowDogDad, Apr 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. SnowDogDad

SnowDogDad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to pay my federal taxes soon (well, tomorrow). I was debating paying via credit card. I have a Delta Platinum Amex and a United MilePlus Club card.

Does anyone know if either of these are offering double mile promotions? I have done some searching and can find nothing definitive for tax year 2012 though Chase (United) has offered this in previous years.). I even called Chase but got a "no" answer, but that lady also told me she had never heard of a double miles promotion ever, so that made me question her overall knowledge.

GoodBoy and NYCUA1K like this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If we're talking about imaginary non-existent promotions, why stop at double miles? I want 5X from Chase on everything with no upper limit. In exchange I'm willing to wear slacks and dress shoes and fly (once) on US Airways.

icurhere2 and GoodBoy like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing imaginary. I can get 3X on my tax payments.

http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/citibank-aa-5x-spending-offer.59934/

Sadly I owe more that that promotion limit.

GoodBoy likes this.
  4. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. SnowDogDad

SnowDogDad Silver Member

Status Points:
    M7V0, where did you get "imaginary" or "non-existent" from? And, wouldn't those two things cancel each other out? I clearly stated that Chase/United had previously run this promotion and so has Amex/Delta. Sadly, I can't keep up with every new promotion and thus was asking.

My experience with airlines has taught me that when asking customer service something and they give you an answer that you are pretty sure is false then hang up, wait 10 minutes, and call back. Or ask someone that knows more than the customer service team, such as the people here.

6. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it would be about a current promo. It turns out that you haven't seen any such promos from Chase this year, and you received a "no" answer from the source. So until someone actually sees such promo, it's non-existent. I don't blame you for having hope, but giving false hope through misleading title was a tad annoying. ;)

7. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    The guy was just asking a question, and I thought that was pretty clear from the title and the posts.

I remember past 2x promos for tax payments as well, but I've never been able to use them.

-David

8. SnowDogDad

SnowDogDad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought the question mark in the title would make it pretty clear I was asking rather than sharing the joy. Perhaps I should use full sentences and extra question marks????? :oops:

Counsellor and MX like this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure about promos on United-branded Chase cards, but your post just gave me a wonderful idea. As I usually do, I was going to pay the taxes I owe with my debit card, but then your post made me think of something I was just going to let slip away: I just got a Chase Hyatt visa with a $23,000 line of credit [are initial credit lines that high these days?] that is sitting there untouched because I was not interested in any sign up bonus. I did not even bother finding out what it was because all I really wanted the card for was for the perpetual Platinum membership in Gold Passport and for paying for my limited stays at Hyatt hotels. Well, I just checked the Chase website and the sign up bonus is quite nice:
    Two free nights and two suite upgrade awards at Hyatt are worth a bundle and I was just going to let that slip away! I am putting my 2012 state and federal taxes on my Chase Hyatt visa card. Thanks for making me think of it!

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Isn't there something in the MP T&Cs that admissions like this lead to automatic suspension of membership privileges? ;)

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure what I admitted to that should get me suspended. If you can be specific, I will definitely amend or delete my post and you can do the same. I posted something along the lines of what the OP was considering and thought it might be of use to others...:confused:

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Signing up for a credit card without considering and utilizing the signup benefit. Especially one perceived to be as valuable as the one provided by the Hyatt VISA.

I was joking (of course) about the suspension. Hence the ;) Sorry for the confusion.

boondr, NYCUA1K and MX like this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a sense you were joking because I kept going over what I wrote and saw nothing offensive or illegal:
    (1) That I applied for a credit card and got approved with a relatively large credit line? Tons of posts on that by churners!
    (2) That I got a card and did not even bother checking what the sign up bonus was? Yea, I should really be suspended for how stupid that was!:p
    (3) That I was going to pay my taxes with a credit card? Duh...

Well, the stupidity has been rectified. I just paid my taxes moments ago, and with that one "purchase", the first on the card other than the $75 annual fee, I have satisfied the requirement for 2 free nights and 2 suite upgrade awards at Hyatt to be used during my annual year-end Asian escapade(tm)!:cool:

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of admissions that should get one automatically suspended, this is interesting.This little "incident" about the nearly unclaimed Chase Hyatt card sign up bonus got me wondering about how many sign bonuses I might have let slip away or might have received without even noticing. The one place I could check is in my UA miles because (a) most of the cards that I have obtained recently are UA-branded Chase cards and (b) the UA Choices Program segregates credit cards-earned miles from those earned from flying and other sources.

My last statement from UA shows that I had 348,638 total miles. Since then, I have burned 150,000 to secure upgrades and do one redemption in Asia for my next 4 trips, leaving me with 198,638 total miles (soon to be replenished). So, I checked to see how many of the 198,638 total redeemable miles were from credit cards, and that is the interesting part:

UA CHOICES.png

Fully 122,032 (61%) of my remaining 198,638 RDMs are from credit cards, and I do not even knowingly churn!!! Admittedly, the last time I used my Choices miles was before the merger, but the stock was nearly depleted. This could only mean that did I qualify for some sign up bonus miles with credit cards that kicked in without my even knowing about it! The only sign up bonus that I actively pursued were 2 free nights on the HH-branded Citi Reserve visa card. Other than that I have not paid much attention and, considering what we do here, that should be ground for an extended suspension!:p

BTW, the UA Choices Program miles (from PMUA) are great because they can be converted to PQMs at 1K PQM for 10K miles for a maximum of 5K PQMs. This could come in handy in providing limited PQMs if one is short on miles to requalify elite status, but does not feel like doing a last minute MR.

GoodBoy likes this.