Double Miles on Copa 8/1/14 Through 9/30/14 & Beyond

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Aug 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for this on July 15th, and I've got several flights booked that will qualify. Basically, sign up then fly on any Copa paid flight between now and the end of September and you'll earn double RDMs. Pretty tempting right now, huh?

After qualifying by September 30, any Copa flight flown through the end of the year continues to earn double RDMs. A good deal for anyone flying south who wants more RDMs, and with status it's even better. As a 1K, for example, I'll get double RDMs under the promotion + double RDMs as a 1K. Total = 3 x RDMs. Not too shabby. Plus you get to fly Copa. (Admitted personal bias, there) ;)

If you purchased your ticket prior to July 15th, you won't get the bonus, but if you have flights booked that you bought July 15. 2014 and after, you're in after signing up here.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  2. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting and an interesting promotion, but there’re some aspects of T & C that folks should be aware of:
    1. Offer is valid only for MileagePlus members.
    2. Registration on united.com is required.
    3. To qualify for the offer, register on united.com between July 15, 2014, and December 31, 2014, purchase and complete a flight on Copa Airlines between August 1, 2014 and September 30, 2014. Then you will earn double award miles on any Copa Airlines flight you take between October 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014 – tickets for both periods must be purchased after July 14, 2014. Flights connecting through the Hub of the Americas in Panamá qualify for the offer.
    4. Offer valid for tickets purchased through copa.com, Copa's reservation center, Copa Airlines city ticket offices or travel agencies for any Copa Airlines paid qualifying flight to any of Copa Airlines destination.
    5. On paid qualifying flights, members can earn double award miles on base miles earned for travel in C, D, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, V, U, S, W, E, L, T and N fare classes.

3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's kind of funny that they leave registration open until December 31, 2014, but you must fly by September 30, 2014 to qualify for the final quarter. Other than that, there aren't too many Copa flights that do not connect at PTY, and I don't see a fare class missing from that list that I have ever booked in all my years of flying Copa. Just don't buy it from united.com or some reseller, and you're covered. If you buy it anywhere else, you also lose the 25% EQM bonus that Copa offers, so it doesn't make sense to book it elsewhere anyway. Very liberal rules, if you ask me.

4. Camino Cielo

Camino Cielo Silver Member

Status Points:
    @KenInEscazu - dumb question: Are the award miles in Copa's or United's program? I know that Copa is otherwise an intimate partner with United, but don't know if Copa has its own program. Thank you. :)

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a dumb question if you aren't familiar with them. Copa's FF program is MileagePlus, so it is United's program. That means that you can use miles earned on Cope to fly either airline, or vice versa.

It's a rather unique situation dating back to when CO owned part of Copa. There may be others like it out there somewhere, but I'm not familiar with any. United no longer owns any part of Copa, so Copa simply buys their miles from UA. Many, myself included, are speculating that Copa will start their own FF program when their current contract expires.

6. Camino Cielo

Status Points:
    Thank you. (...Hoping that late is better than never...) Will have a look at Copa's schedule. :)

7. Camino Cielo

Status Points:
    Thank you. (...Hoping that late is better than never...) Will have a look at Copa's schedule. :)

8. Camino Cielo

Status Points:

9. Camino Cielo

Status Points:

10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points: