Double dipping possible when buying points?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Jeffrey, Mar 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to top off my Southwest account for the Companion Pass, and I think that the best way for me to do this is through purchasing 30,000 Marriott points at a cost of $375 and turning that into the 10k Southwest points I need (and which have a $167 value anyway, so pretty much the first CP flight I use will make up the cost). My other option is to transfer UR points, but I think I value 30K UR points higher since I only have 120K of them. So my question is, if I'm buying the points anyway, is there any way to make that deal better... cashback portals I can go through, or anything like that? I assume that they don't count as a "travel" expense, meaning it's irrelevant if I use my Sapphire card... is that true?

2. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that I read Ultimate Rewards transfers do not count towards miles earned for the companion pass?

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, I should have been clearer... That is my understanding too, but I have read that i can transfer UR points to Marriott or Hyatt, and then subsequently to Southwest to get the points, but I lose some in the conversion (I believe Hyatt works out to be the better deal at 2:1)

4. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went the Marriott route, but they haven't transferred yet, and it's been about 2 months. I'll be calling Marriott today to find out what's going on here.

My other strategy is buying/reselling things with the Chase SWRR cards. A little bit of research makes reselling effective and profitable. So far, I've gotten 4,000 extra RR points in the past 1.5 months from it, and I'm working to ramp it up even more.:)

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did you transfer points into Marriott first, using it as just a middleman, or are they "genuinely" Marriott points? If the latter, did you buy them directly or earn them the normal way with CC signups or actual nights at Marriotts? I'm still new at this, so the reselling thing makes me nervous, especially when I'd need to get to $10K. I'm not really in position to outlay that kind of money to turn around on ebay.

6. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    My father-in-law stays at Marriotts exclusively for work, and he racked up about 500,000 points. He didn't mind donating 35,000 miles to my (companion pass) cause. They're all from stays.