Don't Tweet Where You Eat!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Kalboz, Aug 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alison Hiromi was kicked out of a Houston restaurant for negative tweeting about their service/bartender :eek:

Name calling aside, I believe consumers have the right to review/critique the establishments they frequent, and the restaurant manager went overboard by throwing her out.

Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

N965VJ, Horse, Chimpy and 1 other person like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say it's polite to wait until you've left the establishment. If you were a restaurant owner and someone stood up and complained about the service, wouldn't you get upset? If the person needs to say something right then and there, s/he should be willing to do it publicly for all the other patrons to hear. If it can wait or s/he's embarrassed to make such a scene, then Twitter can wait, too.

But then I also think Twitter is inane in general. The idea that Tweeting a rude and obnoxious complaint in public gets you better service than politely bringing something to the attention of management in person or by mail is sad, indeed.

N965VJ, Horse, kellio and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have the right to tweet it but the restaurant has the right to kick them out too....

4. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a good one for Larry David to explore :) Loved the scene in the current series where he got up and got his own order after waiting so long :D

N965VJ, Horse, Quasiconvexity and 4 others like this.
  5. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see where the upside is to businesses reacting poorly to negative Tweets. Either try to address a legitimate complaint, or ignore them. In the case of this story, I just clicked through to a review that said while the food and drink selection was very good, the service was poor. I never would have read that otherwise.

Horse, upgrade, Kalboz and 1 other person like this.
  6. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    A close cousin to the Streisand Effect. By kicking this woman out, the manager succeeded in multiplying the effect of her tweet.

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes he has the right to kick her out ... but would I have exercised this right if I was in his shoes? No!

AFAIK, restaurant business is in the service industry sector ... to provide food with service. I would have spoken to her and listen to her complaint and then bought her one on the house for taking the time to tweet a feed back about the establishment rather than kicking her out. Her next tweet would been much different than the first one. Some businesses pay for this kind of feedback ... this manager (owner?) is still in the 19th century.

And as with everything else hind sight is a 20/20 ...

N965VJ, Horse, Chimpy and 2 others like this.
  8. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    It doesn't sound like she was critquing the food or service. She called the bartender a twerp because he quoted another bartender? I think both the customer and manager were out of line.
    I also have a rule in our family...no FB'ing, tweeting or cell phones at anytime at the table. In or out of the house.

LadyRVG, N965VJ, savydog and 4 others like this.
  9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, restaurant was in the wrong.
    excellent rule. I had to remind 3 nephews that I have the same rule a few weeks ago while treating them to a 4 day weekend of waterskiing & waverunning. We have folks up to N Wisconsin for Labor Day & I'm sure one or two kids will have to be reminded but then again, most of the parents have been up before and know the rules.
    Depends upon how they complained, I shouldn't be upset about the complaint itself.
    disagree. If you've got a gripe, you don't have to intrude upon my dinner when discussing the complaint. Talk to a mgr or a person who can do something for you in private, personally I've always had much better response from a mgr when not making a scene in front of their customers, take the mgr aside and have the conversation.

LadyRVG, N965VJ, Horse and 2 others like this.
  10. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Teenagers definitely do not like this rule:D but it is the one rule I consistently enforce. 30-60 minutes w/out a cell phone will not kill them.

LadyRVG, N965VJ, savydog and 2 others like this.