Don't try to earn miles for your cello!

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Wandering Aramean, Nov 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    was just going to post the same thing! have seen cello people posting on the AS forum before too. hope they dont get caught!

3. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw this posted a month or two ago on FT. Sucks to be the cello, I guess.

4. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    I remember a guy doing this on UA for years. He would actually buy a seat for the cello.
    But to be fair, DL did tell him NOT to do this (granted it was 10 years ago).
    Dave

5. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see what the big deal is here. He's buying two seats, why not let him earn miles for two seats? If that were his spouse in the other seat and not an inanimate object, this wouldn't be an issue. In either scenario, he still would've purchased the same number of seats and collected the same number of miles.

chaz4449, Davescj and viguera like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree, but the Skymiles T&C explicitly prohibits "non persons" from earning miles, so he was just asking for trouble.

Now if he could have purchased both seats under his name and parked his cello on the next seat and earn the miles then that's another story. I think it's an obvious flaw in the program, where only (human) butt-in-seat can earn miles, but it's not like he didn't know.

Davescj and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL explicitly told him not to do this, and he kept on doing it. You can argue that after such a long period of time, another warning should have been given, but the fact remains he was told what he was doing was against the rules, and he continued to do it for 10 years. No sympathy here.

8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not arguing for sympathy, or saying he didn't know, or that Delta wasn't fully justified, based on the T&C's of the program. I'm just saying in general, what's the difference between me purchasing two seats for two humans and earning X number of miles, vs. purchasing two seats for one human and one non-human, and only earning 1/2 of X number of miles.

9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    If tickets are purchased for you and a companion, you do not earn the miles for both of you - each person would earn their own. Cellos are not people too...

LETTERBOY and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah but I think that's the flaw that I see with the program... if I buy a seat, why shouldn't I get the miles that seat would earn, whether it's empty, occupied by my cello or my dog carrier?

To the airline it shouldn't make a difference though... whether the seat flies with a (human) butt in it or not, as long as they're getting paid, they shouldn't care. Of course there are issues of balance, plus the people (like us) that would exploit the hell out of this to take advantage of crazy mileage/segment runs -- planes would fly half empty whenever a 2-3 cpm run was found because people would buy entire rows of seats. :)

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  11. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I get that, but my point remains: If I pay for two tickets at $500 each for ATL-LGA, I am going to pay Delta $1000, and Delta is going to "pay" 1524 miles; 762 to me, and 762 to my companion.

If I pay for two tickets at $500 each for myself and my cello, I'm still going to pay Delta $1000, but they are only going to "pay" 762 total miles; 762 to me, and 0 to my cello.

So same amount of money being paid to Delta for the same number of seats, but in one scenario Delta only has to shell out half the number of miles they otherwise would if a real person were sitting there.

I guess I'm making the same argument that viguera is making here.

viguera likes this.
  12. DealsRock

DealsRock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would love to see American, United, US Airways, or another airline use this for positive publicity by announcing a policy that cellos DO earn miles.

Gotta believe a cello is easier to fly than most people. They don't weigh as much or require 3 ounces of diet coke either.

DeacFlyer1 and viguera like this.
  13. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if a COS books two seats, they get miles for both? Both seats are booked by a person.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA explicitly prohibits it. I believe UA permits it.

15. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes I get the feeling people work for the airlines on these boards, defending a lack of common sense. All heavy handed stuff. By the way sir we sent you a letter 11 years ago? Are you kidding? He needs to call the exec offices. If there are alot of miles at stake here a small claims suit might be the answer.

Bottom line here is that all of his miles should be reinstated and in the future no cello miles. If you side with Delta, just give him the non cello miles back. Delta miles are not the easies to use BTW. I know I have a few hundred K of them.

16. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    This has made it's way into the Wall Street Journal

When Flying, Are Cellos People Too?