Don't forget - some of your Choice points may be expiring on Dec. 31

Discussion in 'Choice | Privileges' started by miles and smiles, Dec 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Choice points expire on Dec. 31 two years after you acquired them. So, if you have any points acquired in 2010 still in your account, it's time to use them or lose them.
    To see when your points expire, look at your most recent statement. To see it on-line, go to My Points - Stay Activity, then into the dropdown under View My Statements. Click on the most recent statement (NOT your current activity), which should be near the top of the list. Your statement should appear in a pop-up window.

SC Flier and sobore like this.
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    A notable caveat:
    Choice starts expiring the points on the morning of December 31.

After about 30 minutes waiting to speak to a rep on the phone and an additional 20 minutes for her to work with a supervisor, they reinstated my "expired points" on the condition that I redeem them immediately. (If I did not want to redeem them today, then they offered me an amount of points which was equal to about 16% of my number of expired points.)

I had been waiting to redeem them because I'm using them for an award room toward the end of my allowed award booking window. And I thought that working with them on a Monday for my special reservation would have been better than calling on the weekend. Glad that they worked it out for me, but they should not have expired any points before 11:59pm on 12/31.

Well worth the 75 minutes on the phone, though, for a week in a luxury boutique hotel.

miles and smiles likes this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad you got to use your points. I apologize for not making that clear in my post. It has been reported, on Flyertalk, that Dec. 31 is expiration day, i.e. December 30 is actually the last day to use your points (without a big hassle).

SC Flier likes this.