Done with my 1K challenge

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Darth Chocolate, Mar 15, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Darth Chocolate

Darth Chocolate Member

Status Points:
    A little background. I am a DM with DL and had to take a trip to China on short notice. Last year I had 8 BC long haul flights on DL, including codeshares. Short notice BC fares were generally more expensive than usual, so I opted for UA this time, and signed up for a 1K challenge (35,000 EQM by late May for 1K status through next renewal).

I was underwhelmed. Yes, I know meals on planes are not the greatest, but the BC dinner was barely edible. The best thing about the meal was the ice cream.

Also, what is it with UA FAs? It seemed that every time one passed by my seat, they bumped into me. It probably did not help that they parked the service carts in the aisle across from me. Galley lights were on all night and the curtain was not pulled to block light.

Also, they did a poor job of keeping Economy fliers out of the BC lavs and they did nothing to allow BC fliers to leave the plane (there was one Economy flier who passed by me before I had my bags out of the overhead, and I was in the last row in BC).

This experience has reinforced my desire to avoid UA at all costs in the future, unless I absolutely have to.

I say I am done with the challenge, because I have no desire to try UA again for an upcoming trip in April. I will fall short of the challenge, but will earn a lower tier, which I probably will not use.

Flyer1976, Sammich and flyforawg like this.
  2. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Giving up after one (round-trip) failure? That seems like a rush to judgement.

Will you get GPUs if you make the challenge? And are your long-hauls likely to be on routes that see 3-cabin equipment? If so, I'd consider giving it another shot.

3. Darth Chocolate

Darth Chocolate Member

Status Points:
    I have a long and unpleasant relationship with UA (and also CO). In over 20 years of flying for business, I can count on one hand the number of times I have had a trip without a problem. And when there was a problem, they were surly about it.

Actually, the terms are that if I meet the challenge, I only get the status, not any of the upgrade certs. All of the long hauls to China have a first class.

However, and I got this from a 3MM sitting next to me (who also flies DL), that United FC is about equivalent to DL's BC product, including the every seat has aisle access setup. Since I have had better experiences on DL, I gong back to them.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    flyforawg likes this.
  4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not the biggest UA fan, but this post reads that UA never had a chance in your mind. If what you say about your history is true about UA/CO, what did you expect?

5. Darth Chocolate

Darth Chocolate Member

Status Points:
    I really wanted this to be good, to see what they were capable of delivering. The seats seemed cramped. The food was "meh" overall and the meal on the return was practically inedible (some sore of over-spiced beef dish cut (or not) into stew-meat sized chunks with about a fist sized lump of steamed white rice). FAs continually bumping into me as if it were a game (this really pissed me off). 2-3-2 configuration. Backward-facing seats.

Sorry, but that was not the level of service I have come to expect for a $6,000 R/T ticket. And for the FC ticket of $11,000 to be the same relative quality as DL for $9,000 there is no positive comparison to be made.

What did I expect? Better.

6. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    2-3-2? UA doesn't have any planes that are 2-3-2 in business. There are 2-2-2 and 2-4-2 business class configurations though.

ETA: No 2-3-2 in lie-flat business. The Hawaiin 777s are 2-3-2 recliners.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  7. Darth Chocolate

Darth Chocolate Member

Status Points:
    My mistake. This was a 747, and I was in the last row on the lower deck. I had a view of the closet to my left. Still pretty poor service.