Done for the Year. . . . .Status rollcall, 2012 edition

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by kansaskeith, Nov 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS, ALL!

Exactly one year ago today, HaveMilesWillTravel started this thread, which got pretty decent participation during the final month of the year as folks chimed in on how they were finishing the year on their status for the new one. http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/done-for-the-year-status-rollcall.23205/

I considered just resurrecting the thread for this year, but thought maybe we should do it as a new thread.

So here is the thread, I'll start, and would love to hear from the others:

I've finished all the qualifying/requalifying I have any hope of completing, and have locked in one top tier and a bunch of mid-ones for 2013. Top: Hilton "Diamond" Mid: American Airlines, Hyatt and Omni Hotels "Platinum" and National Car "Executive." (Also Milepoint "Gold" and AAdvantage Dining "VIP." And I have dropped elite participation in LaQuinta Hotels' program, for which I was "Elite" for 2012.)

Now, where do you guys and gals stand? What have you locked in, what will you have by just completing travel you have booked, and what last-minute "stretch goals" for the year do you have?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    United: two more weekends of flying and I'll eek into 1K once more (maintaining status). A hair under 90k right now.
    Hyatt: dropping from Diamond to Platinum (via UA Club card; only 3 stays and seven or so nights)
    Hilton: maintained Gold via $20k Amex spend (not enough nights or stays)
    IHG: Platinum (via credit card)
    and that's it for status. Oh, wait, I think I still have Starbucks Gold. And assorted car rental statuses that I don't particularly worry about (National Executive, Hertz Gold 5*, Avis whatchamacallit-elite)

Next year's goal will be:

United: Platinum (would get me to MM status)
    Hilton: Gold
    Hyatt: Platinum

3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta PM with 25k+ rollover, requal with similar rollover from last year
    TK Elite via match for *G
    A3 Gold via BIS for longer-term *G
    SPG Plat50
    HH Diamond
    Hyatt Plat (via CC with only award stays this year. If I can convince myself they have enough coverage for my purposes I'd like to consider diamond at some point. I like the hotels and program - the footprint is a bit slim but growing)
    National EE
    Hertz Presidents thingamajig via match - I never use them

jbcarioca, wrxmom and Global Explat like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am posting this from my ASUS tablet at my favorite "watering hole" in Manhattan's Eastside on a Friday night so I do not have all of my loyalty program info handy (too lazy or inebriated to take the time to find it now). However, since this is a 'status rollcall', it would be great to know how one stacks up vs. the community. So, I would like to suggest that we make this a bit more "quantitative". For each loyalty program, let's provide a bit more info about how we did it. For example, if you reached or requalified for HHonors Diamond, did you do it by reaching the requisite number of base points (BP), nights (N) or stays (S) and what is your total, as well as the earning rate (e.g., BP per stay or per night?) You made UA 1K? Great! Did you do it by earning the requisite number of PQM or are you a PQS "road warrior", and what was that number for you this year? You get the picture...

I will post my "stats" as soon as I "regroup" at home...

5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gosh, I thought a 'roll call' meant present or absent. You mean all those Army roll calls I wasn't supposed to just say present but I also was supposed to tell the First Sergeant that I was there because I enlisted because I didn't want to be drafted into the Infantry, my student deferment was about to expire and I had a low lottery number that was about to be called? :) :)

Just joshin' with ya, NYCUA1K -- look forward to your detail and status when you're back home. . . .

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a different type of rollcall, I think. You are saying 'present' or 'absent' to something...the question is why? What are the circumstances? That should be of interest in a community like MP, no?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    So having only started pointing mid-year I did manage to hit Silver with Delta and will have just over 5k rollover QMs to boot. I have to say most of those miles are bis as I certainly didn't meet any mega-spends to gain extra QMs with the DL AE card.

8. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA: EXP (after my flight tomorrow)
    Hilton: Diamond (accomplished nvia 60 nights)
    Hyatt: Platinum (via 5 stays)
    SPG: Gold (via Amex Plat)
    National Car: Executive (via Amex Plat, but would qualify though rentals or days; towing the Elite line, not sure if will make, not really trying, just may end up)

Next year's goal:
    AA: EXP
    SPG: Platinum
    Hyatt: Diamond

jbcarioca, JoeCortez, wrxmom and 2 others like this.
  9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to milepoint! A quick reading is that you plan to foresake Hilton Hotels for Hyatts next year???? Would be curious as to your thoughts behind that, if you care to expound, and if I am reading you correctly.

jbcarioca and Global Explat like this.
  10. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm actually going to try and keep Hilton Gold.

I honestly prefer the Hyatt hotel qualities (just as far as taste). I'm not talking about the luxury exotic locations, I'm talking about the regular hotels I stay at for work. In addition, we are raking in Hilton points on credit card usage anyways. My wife it lifetime Gold with HH due to the Reserve Card so we should always be good with that. I may as well use my 120+ days on the road a year (for work) to maximize Elite level at multiple brands.

Who knows, after my new goal, or during, I may change my mind. I just don't feel like I'm getting much for all the Hilton effort. I read that people via SPG and Hyatt get some serious love. I like to be spoiled. :)

11. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting you as a Hilton "Diamond" would say that. I just recently made that status (Surpass card spend) and my first check-in with it, as it stands now, will be in about three weeks. I haven't had "Diamond" since about 2002, and my feeling at the time was that while nice, it stopped well short of "drop-dead gorgeous." Based on what you are saying, maybe I'll find 'Ms. Diamond' hasn't changed :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    - A3 *G (qualified early May to replace BD *G, via 19K or so miles)
    - Hyatt Diamond (requalified in November, via 25 stays (37 nights))
    - BA Silver (via BD status match)
    - Hilton Gold (via Visa Signature promo)

Goals for 2013: only to requalify for Hyatt Diamond as the A3 *G status is valid until Dec 2015.

jbcarioca and wrxmom like this.
  13. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was my first time getting Diamond and I felt NOT CHANGE in treatment from Gold. Most I read is that other than the increase to 50% bonus points, there isn't much to it. I was really disheartened this past weekend when I stayed at Fess Parker's Doubletree Resort in Santa Barbara for a couple of nights and got what I consider a regular room (not even an "ocean view" room). I asked and was told there was nothing available.

14. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I remember when I first made "Diamond" back in 2001 the first check-in was like a week after flying resumed post 9/11, and was at the Hilton Los Angeles Airport. I had stayed there several times as "Gold," and really could tell no difference, not even in the way I was treated by the check-in clerk. But I thought maybe it was because of all the chaos at LAX after 9/11. The only really positive memory I have from those days was from a moderately down-at-the-heels Hampton in Missouri, when I walked up behind a guy annoyed he had to take two doubles rather than the king he had reserved. Clerk said there just wasn't anything, so the guy walked to his double-double not happy. Come my turn the clerk said, "yes, sir, I have your reservation right here, one night one king no smoking," and I said, "but I thought you told that man. . . ." He interrupted, smiled, said "never mess with a Diamond," and handed me the key. But if that's all the difference, plus the 50% bonus (and maybe the 'Diamond' telephone call center, though I have heard both ways on that), maybe it ain't gonna be worth it. Time will tell. . .

15. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been regularly flying for 5 years and this is my only second year that I am going to get better than silver-level anything :)

UA: 1K after I finish my round the world trip. Sitting in Tokyo right now, final part of PHX-EWR-TLV-CPH-CDG, LYS-FRA-SIN-TPE-NRT-SFO-PHX trip for business. Tell your kids to not travel East for RTW! All miles gotten through business travel, most of it in discount economy fare. I should end with ~105k miles with about 90k actual flying.

PC: Platinum through Visa.

Starbucks: Gold, through wife's love for coffee.

16. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    For 2012
    United: Plat after this IAH-PDX this weekend
    Hilton: Gold
    Marriott: will drop to Silver
    National: Exec Elite

Goal for 2013:
    United Plat
    Hilton Gold
    Marriott - would like to get back to Gold, but don't see that happening

17. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    2012:
    Delta - requalified as a DM in June and will rollover just short of PM
    AA - requalified for Platinum in February thanks to DEQM. Waiting on the current DEQM to hit and roll me to EXP. :)
    Priority Club - requalified as a Platinum

2013 should allow me to continue as a DM. PC...we shall see. AA will probably drop back down to Platinum, but you never know. :)

18. atmorris

atmorris Active Member

Status Points:
    AF/KLM - Gold with 23K carry over :)
    EY - Gold 18K short of GE
    BA - Still Blue
    IHG - Platinum
    Shangri-la - Jade
    Best Western - Diamond

Been a long a year of travel, across the globe :)

19. malikguy

malikguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hit AA Gold this year. Unfortunately I couldn't quite make Plat even with DEQM so I challenged it (see sig for status) since I do have several flights booked through the end of the year. Also, probably going to challenge MR Plat and I think I'll be able to renew AA Plat next year as well.

20. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been really hard doing this this year with only personal $$ to spend, and having taken a couple of big award redemption trips, but:

Once the MegaDo miles post,
    UA Premier Gold with just over 50K miles. (DH Silver, as we realized we don't both need to make Gold),
    of that, 37K flying miles -- two of which were Double EQM MRs SFO-ORD in January 2012
    5K from United Chase Select card, .bomb purchases
    9K PQMs purchased in August once I realized how much life 9K miles of year-end flying would take up
    Hyatt Diamond (26 stays/31 nights) plus 8 nights redeemed on points
    SPG Platinum (26 stays, of which 4 are from personal and biz AmEx)
    Hilton Gold (through challenge after getting cc), 8 stays/11 nights in 2012
    Club Carlson Gold (status match) 4 stays/4 nights, plus 6 nights on points
    Kimpton Inner Circle (status matched from Hyatt) -- only 1 stay this year -- gosh I like their hotels and attitude!
    IHG Platinum (DH) no qualifying stays, 5 nights redeemed this year

21. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA Gold and HHonors Silver...that's about it for me. Hopefully next year will be better!

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    2012:
    UA MileagePlus - requalified as a 1K on November 20 and will end the year with 113K PQM/52.5 PQS, as well as more than 250K RDM after redeeming to travel exclusively in business or first class for my Annual Year-end Asian Escapade. With 2 TPAC and 1 TATL trips by July this year, I had to pace myself to avoid requalifying too early and have my GPUs and RPUs expire early next year, but UA's new expiration rule has now made this a moot point.

Hilton Honors - requalified for Diamond in September on base points, which was earlier than usual, and now have 126K base points from just 13 stays (~10K points or $1K/stay!)/48 nights. After depleting my stock of HHonors points for two weeks worth of reward stays at Hilton properties during my Annual Year-end Asian Escapade, I have already I rebuilt the stock to nearly 200K points... ;)

Hyatt Gold Passport - Just got automatic Platinum status after getting the UA Club Business card this year. Am planning to use this status during my Annual Year-end Asian Escapade to stay at Hyatt properties in TPE (Grand Hyatt, which is supposedly "haunted"), SGN and CGK, where, surprisingly, Hilton has no properties but Hyatt does! It will be the first time that I stay at properties other than Hilton's for extended periods of time, but it will allow me to add some points to my new Gold Passport account...

2013:
    Goal for 2013 will be, of course, to requalify my FF and hotel program elite status, and also to restock my UA RDMs and HHonors points in preparation for yet another year-end redemption, which I am considering to do in Eastern Europe rather than Asia...but the latter still has the lure...

Overall, a very good year during which I failed to clear just one upgrade on one long-haul segment out of a dozen or so.:)

23. georockc

georockc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada Prestige: Qualified with 25000 miles in September.
    IHG Platinum: Qualified in April on points.
    Hyatt Platinum: on stays

2013: Plan to enjoy having gone from no status to at least low level status for all the trips. Planning to at least requalify at the same levels.

24. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the post working life phase with not too much paid travel, can't even think of accruing status with any airline or hotel chain. The focus is on international travel in F/Biz with miles/points earned through CCs. On that front, I scored 3 trips last year and the TRs for all three are posted in the forum.

Maintained Diamond with Hilton and Platinum with Priority Club through CCs.
    Lifetime Gold with AA will probably be valid for the lifetime of AA.

25. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    First up:

Status Abandonment Targets:
    Delta (previous status: Gold Medallion)
    Abandonment status: Firmly on track! Flights in 2012: ZERO

Qantas (previous status: Gold (which was already down from Plat))
    Abandonment status: Somewhat successful. Despite no flying activity, my LT Silver (OW Ruby status) means I cant throw away the card just yet.

Priority Club (previous status: Platinum, thanks to a crazy credit card signup bonus)
    Abandonment status: On track! Nice rational program: if you don't use them except for award stays, you don't requalify. [edit: per FlyingBear, on p2 of this thread, apparently Priority Club won't let me abandon status unless I give back their credit card.. so looks like I'll requalify again after all....]

Marriott (previous status: Silver)
    Abandonment status: Highly unsuccessful. This program really seems to have the better of me. Despite only staying 8 nights in Marriott hotels this year, Marriott's crafty restructure of their program meant that I carried over 16 nights, and got 16 nights from a credit card, bringing me to 40 total nights this year. If that wasn't impossible-sounding enough, it also means I've qualified again for Silver, & will have 30 carry over nights next year. Once the 2013 credit card "nights" hit, it's looking close to impossible to avoid hitting Gold next year.... hmmm... Marriott seems to have made themselves abandonment-proof...?